Main Menu

E body Cuda Wheel lip molding

Started by Ccuda, August 03, 2021, 06:14:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Ccuda

Could use some advice on the best wheel lip moldings. Are they all the same ? Used Classic and Another one but both were less than easy to fit and install. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Ccuda

Shoooter

B5fourspeed

Get the ones from AMD.Fit perfect with very little adjustments and no cutting.The ones from oer were garbage and I sent them back.

Cuda_mark

:andyangel:
Quote from: B5fourspeed on August 03, 2021, 08:13:55 PM
Get the ones from AMD.Fit perfect with very little adjustments and no cutting.The ones from oer were garbage and I sent them back.

$250 for the set of AMD moldings....not bad considering I saw a full set of NOS at Carlisle this year for $1100

Burdar

I think I got mine from R/T Specialties.  Don't know what brand they were.  The key to installing these is to do it BEFORE paint.  You can massage the body panels to fit.  I've seen a lot of cars with wheel lip mouldings on the front but none on the rear.  The 1/4s were replaced and they didn't take the time to fit the mouldings before they painted the car.

anlauto

Cuda are a lot harder to work with than Challenger because of their thicker material, they are not as forgiving or pliable as the thinner Challenger ones in my opinion. I've never tried the AMD ones, but they are likely selling someone else's  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Bullitt-

I recall folks saying that starting in the middle & working outward made fitting them easier  :alan2cents:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

B5fourspeed

The AMD ones are their own tooling.I pre fitted them to AMD quarters and new AMD fenders on my Cuda.I needed zero body filler just a little twist here and there.

Marty

I bought the OER's. Not even close.  :verymad: Should have checked here first.  :'(

69BFan

The AMD and Year One supplier of the 70-74 Cuda wheel lip trim is FDC which is Ron Felwock.  Ron has been instrumental in the manufacturing of the reproduction parts business for the Mopars since it started back in the early 80s.  Like most reproduction parts, there is typically two to three different sources for the more popular pieces.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

anlauto

I always appreciate the inside scoop Richard, thank you  :worship: :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

A shrinker / stretcher is what I used to get any of them to fit right.

Jim AAR

Even the OEM ones that I bought brand new from  chrysler in 1981 for $18.00cdn each, didn't fit very good either. They are for a Cuda and are thicker so a little harder to manipulate. I've only installed factory ones.

I used a variety of welding clamps with rubber tips to hold them on as close as i could and put the top middle screws in first, then bent them as you go one screw at a time, (you might have to take them on and off a couple times as you go, if you need to bend it more than you want to risk on the car).

I did it after it was painted, no idea why I did it that way, but  i was successful installing them with no scratches. I did mask around as close as I could to the lip so the tape wouldn't get pinched under.

The key is to take your time and not let it frustrate you, because all of them are a pain, especially after painted.  :alan2cents:

70pumpkin

I got the OER ones for my Challenger when Classic Industries was having a good sale, but haven't installed them yet.  When I do install, I'll post back on whether it was easy or a pita.

Rich G.

I put those on my challenger and they fit very good.