Main Menu

Emblem adhesive

Started by 71-440, September 20, 2018, 10:35:44 AM

Previous topic Next topic

71-440

Walking past my car and my shorts caught the Challenger Emblem on the front fender. Needless to say it pulled off..... :Thud:

The adhesive on there looks like a thick black rubbery compound. Whats a good adhesive to use to stick it back on?

Joe

Burdar

Isn't it kind of like a dense foam tape?  I think I'd get a roll of 3M adhesive tape and cut it to fit the back side.  Remove the old tape before putting the new stuff on. 

I'm curious to hear what other people recommend.

70/6chall

If I need some adhesive, especially for metal or plastic emblems. I run down to Pep Boys or Auto Zone and pick up some 3M emblem adhesive, strong, dries clear. My stick on Challenger fender emblem pulled off when I caught it on some toweling when I was cleaning and buffing it. Fixed it right up with this stuff and it hasn't come off since. Give it a try.  Thanks,   Al

71-440

Quote from: Burdar on September 20, 2018, 10:56:39 AM
Isn't it kind of like a dense foam tape?  I think I'd get a roll of 3M adhesive tape and cut it to fit the back side.  Remove the old tape before putting the new stuff on. 

I'm curious to hear what other people recommend.

This isn't original. Don't know what the guy used but it's black, thick ( maybe between a 1/32 and 1/16") and somewhat hard and stiff.
Some of it is stuck to the car and the rest is stuck on the back of the emblem.

Joe

Burdar

QuoteThis isn't original. Don't know what the guy used but it's black, thick ( maybe between a 1/32 and 1/16") and somewhat hard and stiff.
Some of it is stuck to the car and the rest is stuck on the back of the emblem.

It sounds like the standard foam emblem backing material.  The 3M tape comes backed with the same stuff.  I've used the emblem adhesive before but you have to be really careful so it doesn't squirt out the side of the emblem.  Since the backing material on your emblem is in pieces, I'm not sure I'd just glue it back down.  You need to clean all of that old stuff off first.

71-440

Thanks for the replies. I saw the 3m stuff at NAPA.

I think Burdar is right it looks like the tape. Not sure what I'll try just yet. Either one
should do the trick.

Thanks Again!
Joe

jimynick

Most every body shop should have a roll of the double-sided tape and it comes in differing widths as well. Clean the old stuff off, clean it with either lacquer thinner or acetone and you can lay the new backing on to it. The fun part is using an Exacto knife to cut off whatever doesn't look like an emblem. Good luck!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

nsmall

I have used this  https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-6065001-Tough-Mounting-Double-Sided/dp/B00OXVG9FW but it may be too thick for your application.

I have used 3m emblem glue, but I would worry about putting to much on and it messing up your paint.  There is thinner double sided tape out there and maybe that would work best?    :notsure:

nsmall

I think tman just nailed it.   :waving:

71-440

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went with the 3m tape. Easy Peasy....

Joe

nsmall

Looking sharp.  Not to bring up a painful subject, but didnt your quarter get mashed up?  Did you get it fixed?

71-440

Quote from: nsmall on October 02, 2018, 11:06:57 PM
Looking sharp.  Not to bring up a painful subject, but didnt your quarter get mashed up?  Did you get it fixed?

Yes I got it fixed. I think they did a great job.  Blended the paint perfectly. I'll snap some pics of it tomorrow.
Here are a couple pics when they were working on it. They even fixed a small area on the other side of the rear window.

Thanks for asking.

Joe

Chryco Psycho

]It took a while but at least the 1/4 was fixed properly  :twothumbsup:

nsmall

I am so happy for you.  Awesome to here you found a good shop and it all turned out fine  :bradsthumb:

I can only imagine this  :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: when it originally happened.