Main Menu

Emblem Installation Question

Started by Gary AAR, November 23, 2022, 07:06:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

Getting ready to install the "Cuda" emblem on the rear tail panel of my 70 Cuda.  I have the original emblem that I was planning on using, and I'm wondering what is the best method to install the emblem.  What assembly method provides the best result?  Options I'm considering include:
1. Use of double sided tape.  I have some 3M double sided tape, but I'm concerned the thickness of the tape will not allow the emblem to sit tightly to the tail panel.
2. Use "3M Press-In-Place" adhesive. 
3. Buy a new reproduction emblem that comes with adhesive already applied.

Thanks for the help.

blown motor

I've used an adhesive called GOOP on a lot of things. It's never let me down.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Marty

tparker

Isn't there a 3m trim adhesive? I thought that stuff is VERY sticky.

anlauto

I would go with the double sided tape like the factory. If your emblem still has the old tape on it, then maybe a thin layer of good glue would work :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

chargerdon

I used the 3M Emblem glue.   It works...   

MoparCarGuy

The 3M Press-In-Place works well and can be used as the bonding layer if you want to reuse the original thin-foam double-sided tape on the emblem like @anlauto said. No trimming needed as only the adhesive transfers from the 2 inch x 12 inch strip to the emblem.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40065949/

headejm

I highly recommend using this 3M Molding Tape. I had a bad experience using emblem glue (bubbled the paint near the emblem) and won't ever use it again. I thought the Press-In-Place was too expensive so I have never tried it. The 3M Molding Tape takes a little detail work with an exacto knife but it's well worth the effort.  :ohyeah:

Gary AAR

Thanks for the responses.  I have a few more questions...
1. If I use an adhesive/glue, do you have to be concerned about any excess adhesive/glue squeezing out around the emblem and being visible after installation?
2. The 3M double sided tape that I have measures about .045" thick.  Is there a thinner version of this tape available?  Do you trim the tape flush with the outside of the emblem, or slightly inside the outside profile of the emblem?
3.  My emblem currently has no foam backed tape on it (see attached photo).  Will the 3M Press in Place adhesive work directly on my bare emblem back?

Thanks again for the help.  It seems like this should be an easy one, but I don't want to mess things up.

headejm

Quote from: Gary AAR on December 13, 2022, 11:47:02 AM
Thanks for the responses.  I have a few more questions...
1. If I use an adhesive/glue, do you have to be concerned about any excess adhesive/glue squeezing out around the emblem and being visible after installation?
2. The 3M double sided tape that I have measures about .045" thick.  Is there a thinner version of this tape available?  Do you trim the tape flush with the outside of the emblem, or slightly inside the outside profile of the emblem?
3.  My emblem currently has no foam backed tape on it (see attached photo).  Will the 3M Press in Place adhesive work directly on my bare emblem back?

Thanks again for the help.  It seems like this should be an easy one, but I don't want to mess things up.

1. Don't use glue. Trust me on this one.
2. .045 thickness is good. I trimmed mine to match the profile. It's dark colored and doesn't show once installed.
3. Yes. Clean the back of the emblem before applying the tape.

:cheers:

RUNCHARGER

I use the tape as well. It's what the factory used and I would be afraid of glue damaging the paint.
Sheldon