Main Menu

Englishtown drag strip

Started by 73chalngr, January 20, 2018, 12:18:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

73chalngr

I just heard that Englishtown is shutting down drag racing operations

Rich G.

I'm about a 1/2 hour from there. I heard it's just the drag strip that's shutting down but everything else is still going on. I'm sure that will end too. Swap meets has gone down quite a bit and the Mopar show has been struggling for a while. I'm just spoiled going to Carlisle all these years.

340challconvert

Wow,  That is very sad.     
That was the favorite NJ track.
I spend a lot of Sundays there either watching the pro-stocks or bracket racing back in the 1970's. 
Probably due to the cost of running the track and the price of real estate in that area has really escalated.  That part of NJ used to really be the country.

The owner will still have the car parts and other swap meets on the property.
https://www.motorsport.com/nhra/news/englishtown-shuts-down-drag-racing-operations-with-immediate-effect-996816/
No more :1place:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

CudaMoparRay

Taking all the legal fun out of racing.....but this has been going on for awhile and unfortunately looks like it won't stop till they are all gone.

LinceCuda

I hated to hear of this a lot of great times and history made there.

Cudakiller70

Sad to see another one go. Grew up with Fremont Dragstrip, closed years ago. Had a chance to go by there with the new road, stores, empty field and absolutely no sign of its remains anywhere, it's as if it never existed, felt like a piece of your life was erased.

Quote from: CudaMoparRay on January 20, 2018, 05:37:51 PM
Taking all the legal fun out of racing.....but this has been going on for awhile and unfortunately looks like it won't stop till they are all gone.

They want people to go to the tracks so they don't race on the street , but doesn't seem like new neighbors moving close to tracks care.

Hard to blame owners if money is waved at them, funny how they were able to stay open all the years, probably regulations and such costs go way up and you get tired of it.
We have to deal with a lot of tree regulations in a couple of cities and it's not like they are trying to save sequoias , just crap trees.

djw383

Turning it into a concert venue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racer57

That track was old and out of date. After Scott Kalitta died there, drag strips were shortened to 1,000ft.  But I am sorry to hear of it closing. NHRA as a whole is hurting.

Cudagirl3406

Was sorry to hear for sure.  Spent a lot of time there especially in the late 80s/90s.  Glad I have some pics from the Fall Swap Meet/Car Show - Sept 2017.  :takepicture:

mopar thunder

Before I moved I went to that track off and on.  I had heard all the grumblings over noise and that the Twp was under pressure. I just think all those who purchased knew up front about the track. All those McMansions and they're money got their way. Some people are in someone's pockets.

340challconvert

Some good old days pics from Englishtown
Must have been exciting to see Sox and Martin and Dick Landy racing superstocks.
Pete Tritak was a local (to me in Northern New Jersey) and was a regular at this track. 
Have to love seeing mid 60's Mopar wagons racing.
The Teacher's Pet wedge wagon (Jerry Stein) was also a regular at Raceway Park.
:popcorn:   :stayinlane:

340challconvert

I wonder if local New Jersey racers will gravitate to Island Dragway in Great Meadows, New Jersey?
http://dev.islanddragway.com/
:stayinlane:

Chryco Psycho

I read about this last week
Another incredibly bad day for Drag racing where people move in beside the track knowing it is there & force it to shut down or maybe the land was just to valuable in this case but I hate seeing all of the tracks get shut down
E town has a long history as so many tracks have sad to see this one go down too .
I guess the best places to build tracks are in corn fields in the midwest or west Texas where it will never bother anyone !