Main Menu

Exploded view of firewall/cowl area on a 70 E-body (cuda)?

Started by Cuda416, January 15, 2020, 08:44:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda416

As the title says, I'm looking for a good exploded view of the firewall/cowl (and anything else I suppose) for a 70 Barracuda. Just trying understand how things go together up front before I tear into it in the next couple of months. Thanks!
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

7E-Bodies

@Cuda Cody are you freakin kidding me?!?! This has to be one of the best resources this group has! I'd seen bits and pieces of it in other posts, but this is going to be HUGE during reassembly. Part of me fears, yet greatly anticipates that step. Now anticipation has taken over! Thanks to all contributors.

Kevin
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Cuda416

Thanks @Cuda Cody  ,

There is a lot there, but not quite what I'm looking for. Part of the problem is I haven't pulled a dash, or cowl/firewall before. I'm looking for something that shows the inner structure that's under the dash as well as the firewall/cowl. It "appears" in my head that those three items are all joined like a sandwich at the lower edge of the windshield.

Thanks again.

-=C
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

shawge

I found this pretty helpful when I installed my dash

http://www.justdashes.com/2011/08/instructions-1970-74-mopar-e-body-dash-pad-removal-and-replacement/

Edit: found a video (not mine), has some decent shots/pans of the cowl/dash area as it is being taken apart

[youtube width=300]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Z8vUaTiNc[/youtube]
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Cuda416

U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

jimynick

Alan Gallant posted some stuff on R&Ring the dashes of these cars and as I recall, both from him and my own experience, once you remove the screws along the bottom of the inside of the windshield, you can loosen the side bolts, then, supporting the dash assbly, it'll swing down enough for you to reach over and into it's back area to remove the speedo cable and Bowden cables for the heater/vent controls. Disconnect the bulkhead connector and disengage and you should be pretty close. I can't remember if lowering the steering column is mandatory, but it'd likely make the process easier. I'm sure someone else can embellish this list.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cuda416

Thanks for the information everyone.

I don't think I explained why I was looking for the exploded view well enough so let me clarify.

My issue is simply rust and having to reconstruct areas of the windshield frame on a 70 convertible b'cuda. I believe the lower edge is simply made up of the edges of the firewall and cowl, with some bracing on the sides underneath that connect to the a pillars. I've never seen it taken apart though so I'm trying to find the details of that area. I don't know for sure though, that's why I'm looking for drawings or detailed pics.

I haven't torn into the car yet, so knowing the information given here already IS helpful, just not quite what I'm after at the moment. The car is a rust bucket but saveable so I'm trying to educate myself on areas that I know I'll need to address before I get to those, and maybe better prepared to make the best repairs I can.
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

JS29

Being prepared, knowing thy enemy. getting familiar with the ta rain, No doubt your a marine!  :handshake:

Cuda416

This is my barracuda. There are many like it, but this one is mine...   :wrenching:

Marines or anyone who remembers Full Metal Jacket will get the reference  :drinkingbud:
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant