Main Menu

Fish Eyed Fool

Started by 1970A-66Challenger, September 09, 2017, 05:48:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1970A-66Challenger

I'm having issues with some fish eyes in my clear coat. I did some painting today and the humidity was relatively low, but still had a few fish eyes. I'm using one of those cylindrical filter/regulators in my system. I have not used any fish eye eliminator in my clear. Do I need a better filter or ?

1 Wild R/T

Fish eyes are typically contamination... Wipe everything down again, I prefer to actually scrub the vehicle with a gray scotchbrite pad & PPG DX-101.... Then rinse while agitating the surface with another clean scotchbrite,  blow dry throughly & a final wipe down with DX330

Use a desiccant filter at the spray gun, & fish eye preventer can't hurt....

1970A-66Challenger

So if the fish eyes don't appear in the base coat but appear in the clear is it still potentially a contamination issue on the surface?

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  It's normally contamination that is causing it.  I'l a clean freak when I paint important stuff and I've not had any issue with Fish Eyes.    But sometime when I'm just messing around and practicing I do not keep things as clean and that's when I get fish eyes.  Specs of dust and sometime make a fish eye as it soaks up the clean or paint around it.  But either way, clean clean and clean again,  Then make sure you have clean air.   :alan2cents: 

Do you have a photo of the fish eye?

Cuda Cody

1970A-66Challenger

Thanks for the feedback guys. I don't have any photos of the fish eyes, but I definitely have not been as diligent with my cleaning routine as you guys. Next time I will be more thorough while prepping and use a desiccant filter at the gun.

IMNCARN82

I've seen the 330  and surface preps. do this.   Depends what product he's using too.  Acetone sometimes works better.  :dunno:

don't forget to drain your air compressor! :deadhorse:
round tail lights forever !!

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: IMNCARN82 on September 10, 2017, 03:25:17 PM
I've seen the 330  and surface preps. do this.   Depends what product he's using too.  Acetone sometimes works better.  :dunno:

don't forget to drain your air compressor! :deadhorse:

Yeah, this is California, we have sucky chemicals....

Aar1064

it won't solve your problem at this point but every time I sand primer or prepping for paint I use a spray bottle of water and dawn dish washing soap while blocking.

Sounds like the base got contaminated. I'd used some fish eye eliminator.