Main Menu

Flip Top Cap - 73 Challenger

Started by Marty73, December 13, 2020, 12:36:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Marty73

I've seen a couple other older posts on here about proper flip top installation, mostly where the gasket goes.

Can someone provide me a sanity check?

Filler Tube/Gasket/fender/trim ring/cap

Or is it

Filler tube/fender/gasket/trim ring/cap

In other words, does the gasket go on the inside or the outside? Seem to me it should go on the outside
1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack

anlauto

The white foam gasket glues to the filler tube inside the trunk
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Marty73

1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack

Rbob

older post but relevant question.

Is there a gasket between the outer trim ring  and paint?

anlauto

Quote from: Rbob on March 23, 2021, 01:18:07 PM

NO, I don't believe so  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

318Stroker

Quote from: anlauto on March 23, 2021, 01:25:15 PM
Quote from: Rbob on March 23, 2021, 01:18:07 PM

NO, I don't believe so  :alan2cents:

That is correct

Rbob

FE5CUDA

No gasket, however, make sure you bend "up" the x4 tabs so the cap doesn't rattle.  The pressure from the tabs keep the ring tight.

Rbob

MoparLeo

Just for the guys who don't know. It is not a cap, but a cap cover. You must have a cap to seal the filler tube or you will have fuel s[pilling out when full. There should be a rubber seal attached to the cover also.
https://www.yearone.com/Catalog/challenger.cuda/air-.-fuel/gas-caps/standard-.-vented-.-non-vented
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2505460.m570.l1313&_nkw=Dodge+challenger+flip+top+screws&_sacat=0
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

318Stroker

Quote from: MoparLeo on March 25, 2021, 12:22:31 PM
Just for the guys who don't know. It is not a cap, but a cap cover. You must have a cap to seal the filler tube or you will have fuel s[pilling out when full. There should be a rubber seal attached to the cover also.
https://www.yearone.com/Catalog/challenger.cuda/air-.-fuel/gas-caps/standard-.-vented-.-non-vented

I agree that the cover should have an inner rubber seal, but I've seen more without the seal than with it. I bought an NOS cap in the late 70's. and another in the 80's after the first one was stolen, and neither had the rubber seal.

Another hint, use tamper-proof screws to attach the cover. I had my first one attached with 4 phillips screws. Made it real easy for the scumbag thief... :thumbdown:

Rbob

This style fits over a locking type fuel cap: