Main Menu

floor pan wire protection covers

Started by Burdar, July 03, 2020, 09:45:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

Is everyone leaving these in place...even when you replace a floor pan?  AMD makes new ones but they are spendy for what you get.  Are these even really needed?  I've got them running down both sides of the car but wiring only runs down the drivers side.  I think it would be easy to protect the wiring in another way.  Mine are all beat up and rusted through in a couple places.  Are these required so the carpet sits correctly?  Would the carpet look strange or not fit if they were omitted?

Mr Lee

Personally, I don't think you should put carpet right on top of the wires for the same reason you're not supposed to run extension cords under carpet in your home.  They can get hot and potentially start a fire.  Potentially.  I suspect that those protection covers are there at least party for the same reason.   :alan2cents:
How bout cutting up some sheet metal and making some. 
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Rich G.

I've never see them on both sides but i would put them in. You could probably get any scrap sheet metal and make them if you had anything laying around but it's there for a reason. Probably for what we use the car for now it wouldn't matter.

shawge

You should be able to bend up some sheet metal to fit.  I added small hinges to mine when I fixed up my Challenger due to metal fatigue on the original metal tabs.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Burdar

Fair enough.  This is on my Dart.  There are shields on both sides.  I have some replacement shields from a 74ish A-body that I'll use.  They are a little beat up but they aren't rusty.  They are a little different then what's on the car but I'll make them work.  I can make new metal tabs and screw them into the rocker instead of welding them.

My initial thought was to just use a piece of conduit or something to house the wires along the rocker so I didn't have to mess with those shields.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JonH

Anyone have any pictures of these installed? Just wondering what to make if I decides to make one...

Jay Bee

Quote from: JonH on July 05, 2020, 07:26:46 AM
Anyone have any pictures of these installed?

Here they are on my '70 Barracuda.

anlauto

Darren's A Body shields look totally different the the above E Body ones :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

JonH

Thanks! Are the tabs welded to the floor and then the wide piece bent back over them? Have seen the repos but can't imagine what makes them worth the $$ that they sell for...

Jay Bee

Quote from: JonH on July 05, 2020, 10:07:10 AM
Are the tabs welded to the floor and then the wide piece bent back over them?

Yes, exactly. I bent my front one back to show that, please don't ask why it's orange on the inside.

anlauto

anlauto

Quote from: JonH on July 05, 2020, 10:07:10 AM
Thanks! Are the tabs welded to the floor and then the wide piece bent back over them? Have seen the repos but can't imagine what makes them worth the $$ that they sell for...

AMD likely did a small run of them hence the higher price :dunno:

JonH

Perfect...Thanks for the help Jay Bee!!

Burdar

QuoteYes, exactly. I bent my front one back to show that, please don't ask why it's orange on the inside.

The replacement shields I have came out of a Petty Blue colored car.  The inside of one of the shields is green.  I'd bet that the car ahead of that one on the assembly line was green too.  The painter cleared out his gun on the floor.