Main Menu

Front lower Valance Filler Panel question

Started by usraptor, January 17, 2018, 12:29:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shane Kelley

:popcorn:

I actually used j nuts and bolts on my 71. I didn't like the way it fit with the correct push pins.  Re pop valance and re pop lower filler panel just wouldn't hold tight enough for me.

HEMICUDA

Quote from: anlauto on January 22, 2018, 04:47:55 AM
Quote from: HEMICUDA on January 22, 2018, 04:41:49 AM
Quote from: anlauto on January 22, 2018, 03:38:29 AM
Quote from: HEMICUDA on January 22, 2018, 12:15:08 AM
Quote from: anlauto on January 17, 2018, 01:46:37 PM
MEGA Parts sells the hardware kit.....the back three are just large push pins... :alan2cents:
http://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=132-VIH344

Negative, 70 used bolts, not push pins like 71-74.

Would like to see proof of that please.

I need to prove that to you? Nope.  I've never worked on a 70 that had the push pins and neither does my 3,900 mile survivor 6pk.

Yes, could you please show me pictures ?

You're the one making the contrary stated, show me a "true" documented survivor 70 Cuda with push pins.

anlauto

Like everybody else on this web site, I'm just trying to learn from the Master :worship:

There are a lot of 70 Cuda owners on this web site....Can anybody provide pictures of original cars and the hardware used to attach the lower valance insert? :takepicture: @VCODE ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jim AAR

Oops my bad, I thought they were push pins (I haven't had this apart since the early 80's) my old timers disease kicking in.

They are Screwed in with (5) Screws and clips (1 on each side at the top that are revealed and 3 on the back side that are NOT revealed). These aren't the correct screws though, I remember now that I stripped them taking them off and couldn't get or find the correct Phillips screws so I used Hex Head screws.

Couldn't get a pic of the clips without taking the Valance off though and I'm not doing that, and the middle one is missing the screw.

Pics aren't great, but it's not easy to photograph on the car.

Jim AAR

Found a couple of pics in the 1970 Plymouth Service manual that show they were screws with J-Nuts or U-Nuts (hard to tell from the pic's and I can't see them when its mounted) and not push pins on 1970's.

usraptor

Thanks Jim, If you look at the first picture you attached and at the "Air Shield Trim" towards the center of the Trim piece is pictured a "Retainer" that looks to me like a push pin especially if you enlarge the picture.  The Air Shield Trim is what I'm referring to when I say Valance Filler Panel, not the metal valance itself or the lower metal air shield.  Yes the Valance and Air shield are held on with "J" nuts and bolts, but I believe Alan is correct in that the Air Shield Trim appears to be attached with three push pins and two screws.  Sorry if I confused everybody about what I was asking the question about.

Jim AAR

Quote from: usraptor on January 23, 2018, 01:21:24 PM
Thanks Jim, If you look at the first picture you attached and at the "Air Shield Trim" towards the center of the Trim piece is pictured a "Retainer" that looks to me like a push pin especially if you enlarge the picture.  The Air Shield Trim is what I'm referring to when I say Valance Filler Panel, not the metal valance itself or the lower metal air shield.  Yes the Valance and Air shield are held on with "J" nuts and bolts, but I believe Alan is correct in that the Air Shield Trim appears to be attached with three push pins and two screws.  Sorry if I confused everybody about what I was asking the question about.

I know you meant the Air Shield trim. It is possible that its held on by retainers on the (3) rear ones that you can't see. One way to tell for sure is if the (3) holes in the rear of the Valance that the Air Shield attaches to are round holes because that is the only way that the Retainers would work in them. If they are elongated (long oval) holes then they would be held on with J or U nuts and screws. I can't see mine because it's mounted on the car and I can't get a good look at it or take a good picture of it.

Either way you have to put the Air Shield on the Valance prior to installing it on the car or it's hard to put on after, especially the Rear Center holder retainer or screw because the Hood Lock Vertical Support is in the way. That's probably why mine doesn't have a screw or retainer in the Rear Center one because I bought a new OEM Air Shield from Chrysler because my original one was cracked and I put it together with the old cracked one after the car was painted because the new Air Shield wasn't painted black yet and I wanted to drive the car. The Valance was already installed on the car and I probably didn't want to take the Valance off the car and possibly damage the paint on the Valance because it was still pretty fresh. my memory of this is spotty as I did it in the early 80's.

anlauto

They most likely switched from screws to retainers at some point in the 70 model year....as pointed out by Jim's illustrations :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

usraptor

Thanks Jim and Alan.  I check the holes tomorrow to see if they're round or elongated.