Main Menu

Gas filler tube fitting to quarter panel.

Started by Jsand73440, February 24, 2023, 09:55:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jsand73440

I'm a little confused as to why my gas filler tube does not fit now. Just had a fresh paint job and I wouldn't think that it would have added that much to the area. But there is no way the filler tube is going to sit down in the panel. I'm positive it did before. I assume that i will have to trim the tube edges until it fits into the panel. Any other thoughts? I will probably trim it down and then send it out to powder coat.

Dmod1974

It installs from inside the trunk, not outside the car.

Jsand73440

71GranCoupe

Good thing you put all the protective tape on the fresh paint job! :perfect10:

anlauto

Thankfully your gas tank is not in, otherwise you'd be pulling that out too :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jsand73440

funny how the memory slips over a few years. Now i recall what a bear it was to install the filler tube back then. I understand that it is easier to install with the tank out and then you just lift it up in. This is the correct way?

Dakota

I had the tank under the car and out of the straps so I could push down harder with the filler tube.   Put LOTS of Vaseline on the grommet and tube.   I managed to put a rip into the grommet on my first try which didn't show up until the first time I filled the tank completely. 

Jsand73440

I got it installed fairly easy, but now I'm not sure how the internal vacuum in the tube is position, up or down.

Dmod1974

Quote from: Jsand73440 on February 25, 2023, 11:10:27 AM
I got it installed fairly easy, but now I'm not sure how the internal vacuum in the tube is position, up or down.

Are you talking about the vapor vent fitting?  It points straight up.