Main Menu

Go-Wing Spoiler Stud Measurements

Started by cataclysm80, February 07, 2017, 02:54:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cataclysm80

Does anyone happen to have a Go-Wing spoiler laying around and could take some quick measurements?

I need to know the center to center distance between the left and right studs (long measurement).

and the center to center distance between the front and rear studs (short measurement).

This isn't going to be used for figuring out how to mount it onto a trunk lid.  I could handle that.

This is for research, and I need the spoiler measurements to compare to something else.

I think I've found something neat, but don't want to announce it until I've verified.

Thanks!
Tav

Cuda Cody

@cataclysm80   I have an one mounted on a 71 Cuda.  Not sure if it's original, but I think it is.  The deck lid was replace a long time ago when someone pried it open with a screwdriver.  I think I have the key yo get in it?  :huh:

Can I get the measurements with it still installed?

cataclysm80

71 'Cuda trunk lid should look like this.
Doesn't look like there's anything in the way of taking measurements.
Yes, measurements from an installed spoiler would be fine. 
Thanks Cody.

cataclysm80

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 07, 2017, 08:13:01 AM
@cataclysm80   I have an one mounted on a 71 Cuda.  Not sure if it's original, but I think it is.

P.S.    That's a 1970 spoiler on a 1971 car.  Maybe it could be original if the car was a really early build date?  Otherwise, it's probably not original.    You could check the fender tag.  I think the spoiler should be coded on the fender tag, because installation required body modification (drilling) on the assembly line.

Your trunk lid looks FY1 Lemon Twist.  Is that a GY3 Curious Yellow car?

Cuda Cody

The trunk lid was replaced when someone tried to pry it open with a screw driver.    I'll go look at it and get the numbers if I can....

Quote from: cataclysm80 on February 07, 2017, 11:28:32 AM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 07, 2017, 08:13:01 AM
@cataclysm80   I have an one mounted on a 71 Cuda.  Not sure if it's original, but I think it is.

P.S.    That's a 1970 spoiler on a 1971 car.  Maybe it could be original if the car was a really early build date?  Otherwise, it's probably not original.    You could check the fender tag.  I think the spoiler should be coded on the fender tag, because installation required body modification (drilling) on the assembly line.

Your trunk lid looks FY1 Lemon Twist.  Is that a GY3 Curious Yellow car?

Cuda Cody

No luck.  They customized the trunk to get the wing on.   :Thud:

Not sure what you meant about the trunk lid not matching?  Painter said it was perfect.   :crazytalk:   :looney:    :rofl:

Yes, it is a GY3 cuda, but not original trunk lid.

anlauto

Okay really...you're going to post "teaser" photos now ? Nice :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cataclysm80

Yep, wrong trunk lid.
J81 is on the tag though, and August 23rd is a pretty early build date.  I wonder if they could have still been using 1970 spoilers.  Maybe it is the original spoiler?

GY3 is a great color.  Fun to look at in person, and difficult to photograph.

cataclysm80

Anyone else have a Go-Wing laying around?
I could still use those measurements.

6bblgt

36"
&
1-3/4"

the '70 style rear spoiler made it into November '70 ('71 model year) production at some plants

cataclysm80

Hi Dan, GREAT to see you here!
Thanks a bunch!
Any idea when it first became available?

cataclysm80

Here's what's going on...
I've found some 1970 Challenger trunk lids which seem to have a provision for the J81 Go-Wing spoiler, but it's mounted further back on the trunk lid, on the part that slopes downward.
I've found 4 cars with this trunk lid so far, but I only have an SPD for one of them, and it's August 25th 1969.
This seems to be an early version of the J81 Spoiler trunk lid, predating the version with the reinforcement brackets which we usually see.

The 4 trunk lids I've seen like this so far, did Not have a spoiler installed, they just have these cutouts where the spoiler would go.

Here is a comparison picture showing the normal position for the J81 holes on a reproduction trunk lid at the top,
and the rare trunk lid with the more rearward J81 mounting holes on the bottom.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Has anyone seen a trunk lid like this with a Go-Wing Spoiler installed on it?
any ideas on why the mounting location was changed and reinforcement brackets were added?

'Cuda's had a more rearward mounting spoiler in 70, and it was moved forward in 71.  Perhaps this was also the original intention for Challengers?

6bblgt

are they 36 x 1.75?  where does a luggage rack mount?

fc7cuda

Those holes look awfully far back, seems like it would be easy to spot a car with one installed.  I keep an eye out, interesting observation. Thanks :bigthumb: 

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee