Main Menu

Header Panel and Grill Identification for 1970 Cuda

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, November 08, 2022, 02:04:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

Purchased a LOT of parts locally, and sorting through what I have.  Did the cursory google search without success.  Are there any markings on the header panel and grill / headlight bezels for a '70 Barracuda?  If so where should I be looking?

I looked over the parts and was unable to find any markings - thanks
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

70_440-6Cuda

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

fc7cuda

I'm not sure what you're asking, but the 70 Cuda header panel is unique to 70 and easily identifiable as are the headlight bezels.  did you try a Google image search?

posting pics here will get you a quick answer from someone who answers quickly.

Cuda_mark

I think he is asking how you would tell the difference between original grille/headlight buckets vs the aftermarket ones. Arethere any tell tales he should be looking for.

Sorry - I don't have an answer for that. I bet Mike at BE&A would know though.

70_440-6Cuda

Sorry, yes, I am asking if there are part numbers or markings on the header panel and grill for a '70 Cuda that identify them as OEM parts and where those markings would be.  I already know the parts are correct for a '70, looking for the location of part numbers / date codes if any on these parts that would identify as original Mopar - thanks

Jay Bee

OEM left headlight bucket. I'll drag the center section out later and look.

70_440-6Cuda

Thanks @Jay Bee, that is helpful - I though for sure I would find something, but wither I missed it or it ain't there!

Jay Bee

Right bucket and center section. Sorry about the blurry picture, the numbers and pentastar are there. Let me know if you find them, you'd think a quality repop would have the numbers on them too.

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: Jay Bee on November 09, 2022, 01:31:35 PM
Right bucket and center section. Sorry about the blurry picture, the numbers and pentastar are there. Let me know if you find them, you'd think a quality repop would have the numbers on them too.

I would think that only original and the reproduction BEA grilles would have Pentastars and numbers on them.  Weren't they the only ones officially licensed by Mopar as replacement parts?

Jay Bee

When I said quality repop I meant the BE&A ones. I don't know how they were made but my originals have what look like molding indents on the back. One is visible in the picture of the left one, between the two numbers.

70_440-6Cuda

@Jay Bee, thanks so much; where on the center section is that located, left or right side?

Jay Bee

Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on November 09, 2022, 02:43:14 PM
@Jay Bee, thanks so much; where on the center section is that located, left or right side?
Left side. Do you see any numbers on your parts?

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: Jay Bee on November 09, 2022, 02:50:30 PM

Well, I just pulled up a picture and there it is clear as day - no idea how the hell I missed that!  Getting old and blind!

has the same part # (2949558) and is molded crooked like yours.  Cant read the numbers below though - but that is what I was looking for, thank you!!

Anyone know if there is anything on the header panel?

71GranCoupe

Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on November 09, 2022, 02:58:25 PM
Quote from: Jay Bee on November 09, 2022, 02:50:30 PM

Well, I just pulled up a picture and there it is clear as day - no idea how the hell I missed that!  Getting old and blind!

has the same part # (2949558) and is molded crooked like yours.  Cant read the numbers below though - but that is what I was looking for, thank you!!

Anyone know if there is anything on the header panel?

Many metal parts have date stamped numbers, and they can be where it was easy to stamp the part. There are some here who can tell you the date the part was made, but I have never gotten that far into it. We will have to wait for the pros to clear this up.

FE5CUDA

Mike is a very good friend of mine here locally that has helped me out a ton over the years that was banned from this website for not "playing well" with others for calling them out on their PS. 

The only reproduction grille on the planet that was perfect was the one he reproduced partner with MOPAR with all the part numbers and Penta Star on all the pieces parts and he had the only parking lights available.  His grilles were sold thru the Chrysler dealerships until they ran out of them.  The only other manufacturer of the 70 Cuda grille was Goodmark which is manufactured by Jesse Lia in Twain which is what you see on ebay and all the other vendors that advertise them, the trim profile is terrible and fits awful and didn't have the minor detail as the original that the BEA grille had. 

This website lost a wealth of knowledge and information when that guy was banned.