Main Menu

Headlight bucket buckets

Started by Mrbill426, September 16, 2017, 02:34:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

These "buckets" that hold the headlight buckets, were they painted body color?

:wrenching:

anlauto

Never body colour from the factory :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

Ok, so were they just primer; bare metal?  I am referring to the round brackets that bolt to the front support that hold the headlight buckets.

Thanks!

Quote from: anlauto on September 16, 2017, 04:54:12 PM
Never body colour from the factory :alan2cents:

Roadman

:rebelflag" paint or powder coat flat black.    :alan2cents:

Mrbill426

Flat black, got it, thanks!  :bigthumb:
Is there a simple "solution" to cleaning up the headlight buckets themselves without harming the galvanized finish?

Quote from: Roadman on September 16, 2017, 05:08:37 PM
:rebelflag" paint or powder coat flat black.    :alan2cents:

moparcar

Quote from: Mrbill426 on September 16, 2017, 05:15:18 PM
Is there a simple "solution" to cleaning up the headlight buckets themselves without harming the galvanized finish?

Funny, I was just thinking that same question in my head today.
Wes

Roadman

Quote from: Mrbill426 on September 16, 2017, 05:15:18 PM

If you have them powdercoated your vender will clean  them up. If you paint them just clean up with a wax/degreaser remover.  I don't think they were galvanized.  Could be wrong.   :notsure:      :rebelflag"

anlauto

I haven't found a simple solution to clean the galvanized buckets, if someone has one I'd like to hear it too :yes:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

http://www.paintsquare.com/library/articles/Applicator_Training_Bulletin__Cleaning_and_Painting_Galvanized_Steel.pdf

http://www.mademan.com/mm/how-clean-galvanized-metal.html

Read in a couple of places to rinse, then clean with  mixture of dish washing liquid, then neutralize with baby powder and milk solution then rinse , dry , then wax.

Mrbill426

Thanks for the links  :bigthumb:

Quote from: 73440 on September 17, 2017, 07:00:07 PM
http://www.paintsquare.com/library/articles/Applicator_Training_Bulletin__Cleaning_and_Painting_Galvanized_Steel.pdf

http://www.mademan.com/mm/how-clean-galvanized-metal.html

Read in a couple of places to rinse, then clean with  mixture of dish washing liquid, then neutralize with baby powder and milk solution then rinse , dry , then wax.

Burdar

Soak the galvanized buckets in EvapoRust for an hour...no more.  Then rinse and blow dry.  Either clear them with a matte clear or use some other rust prevention coating.  The EvpoRust will brighten up the galvanizing but not remove it if you dip it for an hour.  Make sure you submerge the part completely or you will get a ring around the part.(don't dip half of it, then flip it over to do the other half)

Mrbill426

Like coloring eggs huh  :))

Quote from: Burdar on September 18, 2017, 08:30:02 AM
Soak the galvanized buckets in EvapoRust for an hour...no more.  Then rinse and blow dry.  Either clear them with a matte clear or use some other rust prevention coating.  The EvpoRust will brighten up the galvanizing but not remove it if you dip it for an hour.  Make sure you submerge the part completely or you will get a ring around the part.(don't dip half of it, then flip it over to do the other half)

Burdar

Your buckets look really clean already.  Mine had a lot of grime and oxidation on them.  Soak yours for 15-20 minutes and have a look at them.  That's all yours might need.

Also, you could soak the bucket buckets in EvapoRust too.  If they were originally painted black, you should see traces of black paint still on them after they come out of the dip.  The rust grows up through the paint and then covers it.  You'd be surprised at how much paint is still on rusty parts after they come out of EvapoRust.

I was wondering if Evaporust was a good product to use, thanks, I like  that stuff.