Main Menu

Height of body

Started by chal340, April 01, 2017, 12:37:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

chal340

I bought new leaf springs, HD OEM, at Firmfeel and the height of the body is 24 1/4. Diameter of the wheels is 27".
I would like to have 25 1/2-26" because ground clearance is not enough.
What's your height with stock leaf springs?
70 Dodge Challenger 340 A66.

1 Wild R/T

Stock original springs,  27.1" tire 23" at the rear fender lip.... I virtually never have a problem, what kind of roads are you driving on that you need 2.5-3" more clearance? 

Cuda Cody

Hemi leaf springs from David at Roseville with stock Goodyear Ployglas.

chal340

In France, there are many things like this. I don't know the name in English. It's a pity.
And I touch this ..... with my muflers and the exhaust line on the middle. 1" more clearance will be OK I think.
I'm going to try to raise up my exhaust line and mufflers, but I'm going to win no more than 1/2 inch.

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 01, 2017, 12:58:59 PM
Stock original springs,  27.1" tire 23" at the rear fender lip.... I virtually never have a problem, what kind of roads are you driving on that you need 2.5-3" more clearance?

Cuda Cody

Yup, we have those here too.  We call them Speed Bumps.

Quote from: chal340 on April 01, 2017, 01:28:21 PM
In France, there are many things like this. I don't know the name in English. It's a pity.
And I touch this ..... with my muflers and the exhaust line on the middle. 1" more clearance will be OK I think.
I'm going to try to raise up my exhaust line and mufflers, but I'm going to win no more than 1/2 inch.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 01, 2017, 01:32:10 PM

Yup agreed Speed Bumps, but I have no issue with them at my height.....

chal340

Yes, I have to check the height of the mufflers and adjust them.
Anyway, it's not possible to adjust height on the rear or I have to change leaf springs.
Thanks.

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 01, 2017, 05:23:31 PM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 01, 2017, 01:32:10 PM

Yup agreed Speed Bumps, but I have no issue with them at my height.....

torredcuda

Longer rear shackles/spring hangers do not work on E-bodies as the rear valance gets in the way, either air shocks or a better option - have the springs reached. Find a shop that does truck springs and they can usually do it.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

61K T/A

61K T/A

Quote from: torredcuda on April 02, 2017, 04:45:39 AM
Longer rear shackles/spring hangers do not work on E-bodies as the rear valance gets in the way, either air shocks or a better option - have the springs reached. Find a shop that does truck springs and they can usually do it.

Then whats the sense of adjustable hangers?

61K T/A

Quote from: torredcuda on April 02, 2017, 04:45:39 AM

Then whats the sense of adjustable hangers? My super stock springs have adj. hangers.

torredcuda

Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

chal340

This is a good idea, thank you. but these are for lower the body, no?
Next week I try to adjust mufflers and exhaust line and if it's not enough I buy this kind of hanger.
I don't want to change my springs, I paid more for the shipping+customs taxes than the springs.

Quote from: 61K T/A on April 02, 2017, 04:50:00 AM
Rather than change  the springs why not just change the spring hanger  with a 2 position hanger?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-NEW-E-Body-Rear-Leaf-Spring-Hangers-Challenger-Barracuda-T-A-AAR-R-T-Cuda-/222458683283?hash=item33cb921f93:g:03QAAOxy4t1SmVSn&vxp=mtr

YellowThumper

Adjustable hangers are solid to the frame and lift the front of the spring. The old school extensions at the back do lift the car initially. However, they also extend the pivot range as well. This then in short order allows the leafs to flatten out (de-arc). Resulting in no lift and ruined leafs. As noted I believe they also will hit rear valance when attempted.
Air shocks were also used, however these then transfer the suspension load to the shock towers. This area is not built to withstand that abuse and will also fail with serious structural issues.

Re arc existing springs or get replacements with a + arc.
Possibly a taller tire?
But definately I would tuck up the exhaust as much as possible. If you use headers it pays to have the right ones that tuck up properly. If exhaust mufflers are not factory type. Look onto making sure they are not oversized. As in too thick. More compact muffler also can help.
I like mine low. I fully understand speed bump issue.
Good luck.

Mike
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

A.Gramz

Re ark for most factory correct look.  Could also add a leaf or two but that will make a harder ride.   Best bet take her to a spring shop and see what they recommend