Main Menu

Help! Door latch assembly 71 Cuda

Started by Tifosi, May 28, 2020, 07:08:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Tifosi

It has taken me weeks, no lie, to get my right side (passenger) door open.  I have removed the latch assembly.  Now that I have it open what are my options?  I tried to find a door latch assembly for sale without any luck.  Are they available?  If they are not available, then does someone rebuild them?  I am just frustrated at this point.

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Cuda Cody

What was wrong with the door latch causing it not to open?

I'm sure I have some door latches.  The 1970 was different than the 1971 to 1974.  It has to do with the way you can lock the door when closing it.

anlauto

Quote from: Skdmark on May 28, 2020, 09:13:11 PM
Give them a call
http://www.n96airgrabber.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SVC-002

I wonder what they do to restore them other then just plating ? :thinking:

Finding a decent used one, shouldn't be too hard  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

B5fourspeed

The are on eBay a lot.There are some on  there now.Just sent my latches to Steve at SF restorations in Canada.

Tifosi

The plate that locks to the striker doesn't move, or doesn't move freely.  The lock and open plates actually move with your fingers.  It is just the striker lock plate that doesn't move. Now that I have slept and have more sense about me, I inspected the latch mechanism and don't see anything broken.  I was expecting to find a broken spring, honestly.  All I see is a horrible layer of muck, dried lubricant???  I am now wondering if I can clean this and then properly lubricate it and have it work.  I am going to give that a try ... but it is nice to know that there are options for a replacement if it comes to that.  Many thanks to all who responded!

Jay Bee

For reference: '70 vs '71-'74, picture taken from Moparts via Google.

Floyd

Go at it with some brake cleaner, a toothbrush, and compressed air.  Clear out that crusty old grease and see what You have.

JS29

Quote from: Floyd on May 29, 2020, 11:17:44 AM
Go at it with some brake cleaner, a toothbrush, and compressed air.  Clear out that crusty old grease and see what You have.
:iagree: That is what i always say, look it over and see if anything  cad be done before you toss any thing away. :yes:

anlauto

John, I'm going to use your stolen picture, hope you don't mind....LoL :vipermanhiding:

A lot of people don't realize that the exterior door handle is adjustable. If you're having to reef up on the handle as high as it will go to get the door open, you can correct that issue. The original poster mentioned he couldn't find anything wrong with his latch, yet the door would not open.

I had the exact same problem with a 71 Challenger I'm currently restoring and I didn't touch the original adjustment when I cleaned and restored the latches. I would pull up on the handle and nothing....

There is a small access hole in the door just above the latch where you insert an Allen key to loosen the bolt, life up on the lever and you can see what moves, by moving it just a bit, now your handle will release the door with little effort, like lifting in up only half way....

Just a trick I learned over the years :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Tifosi

Three can of parts cleaner and a brush got all the parts moving again.  Then to the parts washer!  Looks like (and works like) new.  Re-lubed (properly) and now back on the car!  Thanks for all the responses, especially the one about the adjustment, I had no idea! 

anlauto