Main Menu

Help, Having trouble with PG Classic's tail light chrome bezels

Started by Brads70, February 18, 2017, 12:02:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Ok so I sprung for the new repop PG classic tail light bezels
http://www.pgclassic.com/216
They just do not fit the housings or line up with the holes in the tail light panel . I tried drilling the holes a little bigger in the tail light panel but they are so tight that it puts pressure on the the lences and they broke! Brand new lenses! Now Junk!  :pullinghair:
I bought them from Classic industries and they were good in that they did send me a replacement drivers side bezel at no charge. Today I thought I'd go out and install the new bezel and new ( yet again! Grrr) lenses.
Its still the same problem, the bare bezels don't even line up with the holes in the tail panel. 2 holes when I remove the studs it will then go in easy. I can't leave them out as water will get into the lenses as they won't be sealed. I was thinking maybe its my diecast housing thats the issue, but when I hold it up to the tail panel the holes line up perfect, that and the old original besels go in like butter?
Any thoughts?  So frustrated! :verymad: I've spent a lot on money, some parts twice as the first set of lenses broke!

Cuda Cody

Have you tired your old bezels to see if they fit?  Man, that sucks it broke the lens.   :steamingmad:

I used a set recently that I got from David @ Roseville and they fit good.  Not problems.  Are they all coming from the same place?   :notsure:

Cuda Cody

Brads70

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 18, 2017, 12:08:29 PM
Have you tired your old bezels to see if they fit?  Man, that sucks it broke the lens.   :steamingmad:

I used a set recently that I got from David @ Roseville and they fit good.  Not problems.  Are they all coming from the same place?   :notsure:

It's my understanding PG classic is the only supplier?  :dunno:

Cuda Cody

anlauto

I've installed a couple of sets just recently with no issues  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HP_Cuda

So either modify your housing or get new ones.

I've had such hit or miss experiences with PG that I rarely order from them anymore.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

RUNCHARGER

Interesting: I also installed two sets withing the last few years and both sets fit like original. The tooling must have gotten out of whack?
Sheldon

Brads70

Just got in, I figured it out but am not happy . The right side is not made right. The left seems ok. They KNOW they have an issue with the mold as I can see where they put in an insert in the mold to fix the problem but failed.  2 of the stud bosses are out of position. I have 25 year experience building diecast molds and used to do some QC inspection work running a CMM at one point. My point is I have some knowledge of how this stuff is made.
I had to slot the aluminum housing to make it work. I measured between the studs and it is out of position as compared to an original.You can see clearly with your eyes it's out never mind needing a vernier! :pullinghair:  It's not rocket science , I have a hard time understanding why it's wrong , and worse that they let it go and are selling them. It doesn't cost any more to make it right.... I suspect if others have had no issues then they are clearly selling "seconds"  There is no way this will fit without modifying both your housing and the tail panel.

Brads70

This last picture you can clearly see the insert in the mold where they knew there was a problem and tried to fix it, but screwed up.

Brads70

I guess I'm upset because Mopars and the parts are a lot more than "other " brands and I accept that. BUT when I pony up and pay the money I EXPECT it to be right. There is zero excuse to put out a part like this. It's not some $29.95 part. It's pretty bad when the replacement is  pretty much the same, the only thing better is they tapped the holes straight and not all crooked like the other one but those 2 bosses are STILL out of position. They can't tell me that they didn't know..... the proof is in the insert in the mold.
I know I have a " nothing" car being a /6 originally  but I still payed the money, and still had to hack up my car and parts to make there stuff fit. Good thing it's not a collectible E-Body.
With all the hassle and frustration , if I had it to do over again I'd look into getting my originals rechromed. No idea what that costs but....

Cuda Cody

Super job getting it figured out.  I knew if anyone could do it that it would be you.  Can't believe they put out a product that was so far off and clearly knew about it.

I had 2 sets of 70 tail light bezels re-chromed last summer and they were $300 a set.  Took about 4 months and tons of making calls.  They tried to charge me more after it was done.

Brads70

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 18, 2017, 04:20:03 PM
Super job getting it figured out.  I knew if anyone could do it that it would be you.  Can't believe they put out a product that was so far off and clearly knew about it.

I had 2 sets of 70 tail light bezels re-chromed last summer and they were $300 a set.  Took about 4 months and tons of making calls.  They tried to charge me more after it was done.
In hindsight I would have gladly paid that and more....
My frustration is also from buying new bumpers and the front seems ok but the rear is "warped" it drops off at the ends or is humped up in the center. So combined with the new tail light fiasco it's a real downer. The rear end I feel looks bad, even after all the money spent.
Oh I forgot to mention the second set of tail light lenses ( just the right side) also cracked again. The one boss on the repop is too low and doesn't bottom out before it crushes the lense. I was REAL carefull but still heard the crack when I installed the assembly. I was very carefully tightening it down with a 1/4" drive screwdriver/nutdriver....  :bricks:

Cuda Cody

Man, nothing's working right for you today.  Bummer man.

What brand are the bumpers?  I've not had much luck with the AMD bumpers, but the ones that David sells from Ketstone have been pretty nice.  @anlauto  got me turned on to them and I've been using them ever since.

Brads70

Here is a picture , look how the bumper drops off at the ends, and the right side tail light bezel is not straight either. The original parts the gap between the tail light bezels  and the bumper was straight as well as the gap between the S/E tail panel and the tail light bezels. Not now after spending a pile of money.... :steamingmad:
It's shiner but all warped....as compared to the original parts  :headbang:
I got the bumper from Dave but in no way am I blaming him. The bumperetts don't fit right because of the warp also.  I notice the warped bumper issue in quite a few nicer show cars. It's easy to see if it's original or not looking at other cars....