Main Menu

Help me locate parts! 1970 Challenger

Started by kawahonda, July 01, 2018, 01:26:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Hey everyone!

A couple things that I could use advice on.

1) I've yet to see any Challenger restoration site offer hardware. I need to replace a couple long screws to mount my rear valance piece back. Otherwise, it's going to the hardware and just using whatever fits.

2) I need a vertical piece for my grille. It seems to be missing one, right next to the "Challenger" script. Are these possible to find? It looks like that it just presses in, probably with a tad bit of adhesive.

3) Is there a "cheapest' place that offers rear and front chrome moldings for the fenders/hood/trunk lid? One peice is missing, and most others are heavily dented.

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Chryco Psycho

Start with Roseville , they sell hardware kits & trim
someone should have a spare grille for parts

anlauto

Agreed, start with Roseville Moparts, mention this site.

1) There is a rear valance hardware install kit available.
2) I'm not sure what you mean here, there is one vertical mount in the center of the grill, but I don't think it's sold individually from a new grill. You would have to look for used.
3) All this trim is available in reproduction. Cheapest is not always the best.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

kawahonda

Thanks guys. Please see photo showing the missing piece in the grille.

I need to rebuild the lower driver's door hinge. What's the easiest way to get the hinge off? Would hate to pull the fender, as its likely never been off the car before. Maybe that's a must-do though.

The 9/16" bolts holding the hinge to the door are very easy to get to. The 9/16" bolts mounting the hinge to the body are just plain buttheads. I can get my swivel-spanner on the lower bolt, but the upper bolt seems like it would require a specific tool. Any tips?

The other option is to NOT remove the hinges, but remove both hinge pins and use a floor jack to keep it held up.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

blown motor

Is there play in the door hinge from a worn bushing? Bushing kits are available. I removed the pins top and bottom and removed the door. We took the hinge of the door and drilled it for the new bushing in the drill press. The hinge on the car we drilled in place. Much easier job with two people.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Plumcrazzy

I have some grille parts. The best I can offer is the following: I have just the center section of the grille. This is referred to by some as the " cheese grater". Very nice condition but is painted black for R/T application---easy repaint though. PM if interested.