Main Menu

Hood Blackout Decal Location and Blackout Paint Questions

Started by Banana, July 08, 2019, 10:53:33 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Banana

Thanks for the reference material on the site....extremely helpful.

Question #1 - didn't see factory drawing for location of the 1970 Challenger blackout - can someone please let me know location fore/aft?

Question #2 - what is best rattle can paint match for the front end and A-Pillar blackout? Have to touch up a few spots.

Thanks for the help

1 Wild R/T

They never seem to give you any extra so point one is make sure it's far enough forward that the decal rolls under the front hood trim...  I'm seen a few that came up short & it's not pretty....  Next clue is the distance at the scoops....  Photos attached...

Use lots of water with a couple drops of dish soap... When you think theres enough water hit it again just to be safe...
You can slide the decal around if there enough soapy water under it... That is until you push down & break the water film... So don't push down till your satisfied with the location...

Sometimes the decal wants to wrinkle in a crows foot pattern by the inboard curve near the scoops.. So work that area early, but work from the center of the bulge bringing water out with your squeegee... It's not hard but it's a big decal so it can trap water if you don't do it right.... And because it's large it's good to have two people to initially place the decal...

anlauto

Buy the stripe from Performance Car Graphics and it will come with dimensions and instructions  :alan2cents:

Explain "A pillar black-out " ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on July 08, 2019, 12:29:02 PM
Buy the stripe from Performance Car Graphics and it will come with dimensions and instructions  :alan2cents:

Explain "A pillar black-out " ?

I'm thinking he's referring to behind the glass....

Banana

Thanks for the info guys....got my decal from Dave at Roseville (think he said it's from Phoenix). Will look in the box for instructions!

Any rattle can paint close to the blackout paint you can recommend?

headejm

Every member on here should get into the habit of perusing our wonderful resources section. Many questions can be answered with just a little researching.  :cheers:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Banana on July 08, 2019, 01:41:32 PM

Any rattle can paint close to the blackout paint you can recommend?

SEM Trim Black...

Banana