Main Menu

Hood Hinge AAR

Started by SeventyTX9RTRag, July 06, 2022, 06:43:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

SeventyTX9RTRag

I have an early build AAR, March 11th. Fairly original car, and I have the typical bow in the hood due to the springs. Anyone ever remove the springs to take the tension off the hood to see if the hood will lay down a little?

three two barrels

The hood on my T/A was warped so bad you could see the valve cover with the hood closed.
I removed the springs and hood was almost perfectly flat.
I used a large box end wrench to hook the springs and remove them.

71REDCUDA

Picture please.. i have the same problem
and have thought i should try to remove the springs..

The original aar hood is bowed quite much.

Thanks
Nicklas

Brads70

I had the same issue on my T/A hood I bent up a couple rods and took off the springs. I tried both versions of T/A hood springs but they didn't work as the slightest wind would blow the hood down.

SeventyTX9RTRag

Can someone walk me through the process of removing the springs? I fear I will do something stupid and the spring shoot off and break the original windshield or screw up the paint or who knows whatever else!

Thanks a ton!

71vert340

@SeventyTX9RTRag   I don't know if anyone got back to you, but on my 71, the spring is in its most relaxed position with hood fully open unless the T/A hood is different. I think you can close the hood down as much as you can and still reach in there and put spacers in between the coils of the spring. When you opened it, the spring will still be stretched out and easier to remove. It's been years since I did this. I'd prop the hood open before removing springs.
Terry W.

RSI700VIPER

Quote from: SeventyTX9RTRag on July 07, 2022, 02:10:12 PM
Can someone walk me through the process of removing the springs? I fear I will do something stupid and the spring shoot off and break the original windshield or screw up the paint or who knows whatever else!

Thanks a ton!

I just did this this morning coincidently.  Very simple, especially with the lighter T/A AAR hood springs.  Open hood fully and prop from the front.  Put a couple of towels around the area i.e. top of fenders and firewall just in case.  I never had one slip but better safe then sorry.  Locate an 8 foot piece of rope, and loop it around the front of the spring hook.  I use clothes line. Rope is better than a wrench as a wrench will scratch the paint.  Then stand in front of the car,  and pull the rope towards you firmly, using your knees against the bumper for leverage.  I wrap both ends of the rope around my wrist and grab it like a dog leash so it doesn't slip.   Once the front of the spring clears the notch in the hinge, slide it over and back.  Repeat on other side and you are done.           

SeventyTX9RTRag

Ok guys thanks for the reply. I will get it a shot.

gzig5

I have an aftermarket AAR hood and while it is currently still straight, I replaced the original springs with a set of 1" diameter trampoline springs.  They have enough strength to hold the hood up without concern, but don't put any excess stress on the hood when closed. I have some extras and can get you a pair for cost of shipping plus a couple bucks.  PM me if you are interested.  Topic just came up on FEBO and I posted a pic.
https://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/threads/aar-hood-springs.27262/#post-162151

b5cuda

I'm interested, if you have a pair to spare - pm sent. Thanks!