Main Menu

Hood Inserts - R/T Rallye Style - 70 Challenger: repop vs. OE

Started by wanderlustin, September 10, 2019, 11:18:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

wanderlustin

Are there any differences in reproduction Challenger sport hood inserts "scoops" and plates vs. OE?  The $200 price of repops seems pretty decent if there is no discernible difference from original.  Another related question - when ordering the "scoops", do the plate inserts always ship with them as a package?  I've seen some vendors show pictures with the plates and others without.

anlauto

The reproduction ones don't have the "trays" on the backside of them like the originals do.
Yes the block off plates are included.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

wanderlustin

Great photo, thanks Alan! Any idea what the "trays" purpose was?  It looks like there is a foam paint seal around the perimeter as well that I've never considered.

Here is a photo of an aftermarket version for reference from AMD's site..

70 Challenger Lover

I've seen nice original sets sell on eBay for under $200 for the pair with block off plates. Sometimes as low as $100. You just have to watch and pull the trigger quickly if it's a buy it now at the right price.

Claudia

@wanderlustin I have a complete set available with the "trays" and the block off plates if interested.

headejm

Question: Are the block off plates supposed to be body color or black? Seems like I have heard both mentioned.  :notsure:

Rdchallenger

I still never got the point of the block off plates... especially now a days since hardly anyone drives their Classic in the rain, you'd think you'd want the scoops open to bring in more air.

Cuda Cody

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cuda Cody on September 10, 2019, 11:41:50 PM
The trays are rain gutters to stop water.

To elaborate on that, the trays channel any way that makes it past the block off plate ot especially if the plate is removed into the metal frame structure under the hood where it is channeled away from the top of the engine & drains out of the frame outside the engine space...

And yes the block offs are originally black...

wanderlustin