Main Menu

Hood scoop colour

Started by fireguyfire, May 18, 2020, 08:47:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

Getting ready to paint the hood on my 1973 rallye challenger.
The hood scoop intakes are currently black, and I am 90% sure they should be body colour, however looking at images on 73 rallye challengers it seems it's about 50/50 on body colour vs black on these cars.
Can someone confirm for me that these intakes should be body colour on a 73?

Chryco Psycho

anlauto

Body colour, but the little block off plates inside are black :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

Body color.  They were actually installed in the hood BEFORE it was painted.

JS29

Quote from: Burdar on May 18, 2020, 09:54:04 AM
Body color.  They were actually installed in the hood BEFORE it was painted.
:iagree: With satin black inserts.  :alan2cents:

fireguyfire

Are you guys painting the scoops installed in the hood like the factory did, or removed?

Chryco Psycho

JS29

I do things like that on. You take the chance of chipping or cracking the paint otherwise.  :alan2cents:

Chryco Psycho

I did mine off this got the paint everywhere then inserted the scoops carefully with new gaskets .

fireguyfire

I didn't realize they have gaskets; mine are gone

JS29

Neil was incorrect saying carefully!!! and let it set for a few days at the leased. and i would try to find the gaskets if you can.  :alan2cents:

Chryco Psycho

Mine were inserted carefully long after the paint was applied , probably a month later !

anlauto

My body shop guys always paint them separate too  :alan2cents:  They're not that hard to install later  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

If the paint is applied thick the scoops will smooch into the paint and may not set right.  :alan2cents:

fireguyfire

I'm having a hard time finding rallye hood scoop gaskets.
Anyone know of a source?