Main Menu

Hood Storage Options

Started by gzig5, April 06, 2018, 02:53:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

My car came with an extra hood, extra front fenders, and a nice set of complete doors.  I have a two car garage with the Cuda on one side and machine shop taking up the other.  I think  I can get the fenders and doors up into the attic above the garage.  Doors will be tricky because of the weight, but I managed to get a BMW 6-speed up there a couple years ago.  The hood is another animal.  It's not going to fit into the attic.  I don't have any available wall space in the garage.  My thought was to suspend one of them above one of the two garage doors using some sort of pulley system like you see for bicycles, but the door opener chain track blocks a direct lift down the middle of the stall so it isn't that simple.  I need it to be a one or two man job to put it up and take it down.  Off-site storage is possible but strongly repugnant.  Before I go about engineering something and failing several times, I thought I'd ask the group. Pics added in case it helps.

Is there any issue suspending a steel or fiberglass hood (one of each) by the corners in a horizontal configuration? Fear of warpage comes to mind.
Has anyone successfully done what I'm suggesting?
Any semi-rational suggestions?

Thanks
Greg

gumby

I have a spare Coronet hood against the wall in a hallway in-between the living room and my bedroom. You might stub your toe on it once or twice, but
after awhile, you hardly even notice it. Of course, you probably wouldn't like the wheels and tires in the kitchen, or the 67 Charger hideaway headlight
bumper in the living room. And enough parts to rebuild an engine. Intake manifolds, carbs, etc. Headers. Interior panels.

If you were to say something bad about it, it would just come across as snobby! ROFLMAO!. BTW, I am single... lol. And have a 3 car garage/barn thingy.. The pieces that inspire me, stay
in the house! lol. That's what I keep telling myself.

You don't even want to go upstairs. Dashes, exhausts, everything. I'd keep it out in the barn, but there are mice out there, ya know? Plus, it's filled with Bronco parts.
Mice don't mess with Bronco?

I pity the fool that has to clean this out after I pass... Every room is full of car parts and guns. I have goat paths. Not bragging at all.

Brads70

If the hood has hood pins maybe you can utilize that somehow? Maybe make a couple brackets that bolt to the hood where they bolt the hinges on for couple more hood pin like things? 

IRON MAN

On eBay there have been removable hard top removers. The apparatus can lift a hard top off a '57 T-Bird using pulleys and rope. Don't know if this would be suitable for storing body parts.

gzig5

The trick is if I'm going to use the space above where the door opens, it needs to go above the door lift drive which runs down the middle. So you can't just lift it straight up there.  I was thnking to utilize the hinge mount holes on one end and not sure yet on the front to grab it by if I could sling it.  It's a little to unwieldy to slide into a shelf near the ceiling.  might not be doable but I thought I'd see if someone had a clever solution. 

Now, if it were to go up just below the door roller track, that might be acceptable and then the lift drive isn't a problem.  Going to have to get clever supporting it without interfering with the door though.

Floyd

I had the same set up as yours in my old house.  I fabbed this up and remember it working well.  Trouble is, it's been so long, I can't really remember how I got around the garage mechanism.  I needed help getting it up there, but don't remember it being too difficult.  Too bad you aren't closer.  I have no use for it now...

gzig5

Quote from: Floyd on April 07, 2018, 08:49:41 AM
I had the same set up as yours in my old house.  I fabbed this up and remember it working well.  Trouble is, it's been so long, I can't really remember how I got around the garage mechanism.  I needed help getting it up there, but don't remember it being too difficult.  Too bad you aren't closer.  I have no use for it now...

That's what I was thinking for a shelf.  After seeing it I went out in the cold and measured the hood and the various obstructions.  If my measurements are correct, I actually have 1/2" clearance between the black door lift rack and the door roller guide on the middle side of the garage.  So, I should be able to rig up two or four pullies to lift the hood straight up to within a couple inches of the ceiling. Crisis avoided.   :banana:
Whenever I get to that, I'll update with a pic.