Main Menu

How to paint Cuda tail panel

Started by Mrbill426, August 31, 2017, 06:33:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

I need some help determining exactly where the parting lines between body color and Organisol black are supposed to be on a '72 Cuda tail panel.  Can some one advise and show (pictures) where it is?  Preferably shown before the trim is installed.

Thanks so much!

:wrenching:

Cuda Cody

Welcome to the site @Mrbill426   :welcome:   The resource page has a few technical drawings that might help.  I assume the 72 is the same and the 71 and 70.

https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/cuda_challenger_tsb_specifications_engineering_illustrations_drawings/

It follows the trim line and at the bottom goes lower down behind the bumper.  Here's the drawing for it....

https://www.e-bodies.org/Resources/Engineering_Illustrations/Black_Out_Tail_Panel_Cuda.pdf

Some of these photos might help.  I think the factory's goal was to not see body color between the bumper and car.

Shane Kelley

72 -74 are different than 70-71. They don't have the surround trim to break the color.  Hopefully somebody that knows will chime in.  I'm kind of thinking it's the whole rear body panel. I found 3 pics but I can't say they are 100% correct. But they are all consistent so chances are this is how it should look. 

Cuda Cody

Thank you Shane!!!   :clapping:  I'm really a newbie when it comes to the details of the 72-74's.

Burdar

So, should it stop at the top of the tail panel or go under the trunk lid like a Challenger?

Shane Kelley

If I was doing one I would go into the jamb some like that Challenger pic shows. I think that looks better than right along the edge. IMO That way your not going to see any color between the black body panel and the chrome deck lid trim from behind.

JS29

Same trim as A GRAN COUP, I think I would look into the same guide line.   :alan2cents:

303 Mopar

Here is a good shot of how the tail should look....

LinceCuda

On my 73 the entire panel is painted it goes under the rear 1/4 panel chrome trim down below the bumper filler and rolls into the trunk 7/8 of a inch all the way across. I'm pretty sure my paint is original I'll double check everything and reply again. I have pics on my phone but I don't think they would post good.

wldgtx

This is what I saw...
1968 Hemi GTX, 4 spd, RR1
1970 Challenger RT/SE, FC7 - FC7RTSE
1987 Buick Grand National

HP_Cuda

Good one 303, that is a great example.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

LinceCuda

Here's what mine looks like the paint rolls into the trunk a 1/4 inch not 7/8.  Everything else is like I said in my 1st reply.

Mrbill426

Thanks for the pictures, definitely looks different than the Challengers.  So it goes up into the trunk at top?  What about the upper corners?  Any chance of zooming out a bit?  I take it that the black goes down blow the level of the rear valance then?

Quote from: LinceCuda on August 31, 2017, 01:42:07 PM
Here's what mine looks like the paint rolls into the trunk a 1/4 inch not 7/8.  Everything else is like I said in my 1st reply.

larry4406

Attached is a picture of my smashed 72 with the trim piece removed.  The paint extends down behind the bumper and is masked off behind the trim.  Sorry no other pictures.

Also a picture I snagged off the net some time ago.

Mrbill426

Thanks for all the help people, I think I got it straight now  :bigthumb: