Main Menu

How wide are your trunk lid gaps?

Started by Flatdad, January 14, 2021, 11:18:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Flatdad

For those with factory trunk lids and factory quarters, how big are your gaps on the sides?

I thought I had my quarters in a good position, but the gaps are still just too darned wide when I test fit the lid.

My car is a Challenger, but I'll gladly welcome measurements from Barracudas too.

Rich G.

Doesn't the tail panel and Dutchman panel set the spacing? Can't really change where the quarter panel goes there. Unless I'm missing something.

YellowThumper

Factory horrible on my 74.
Less than 3/16 to at least 3/8. Probably more.
Issue is not being consistent. So adjustments aren't really possible.
Dutchman panel is even and probably 5/16.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

jimynick

Quote from: Rich G. on January 14, 2021, 04:13:26 PM
Doesn't the tail panel and Dutchman panel set the spacing? Can't really change where the quarter panel goes there. Unless I'm missing something.
You're not missing anything. You're absolutely right and if the upper trunk panel is oem and you're replacing 1/4's and the gaps don't please you, you have 2 options 1: live with it and realize that the oem panel fits in these cars were terrible from day one, 2: weld up the edges of the deck lid to get where you think you should be. Option 3 was to get out the deck lid stretcher, but it's in the shop for repairs.  Good luck!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

ek3

factory trunk. new quarters  Dutchman .. large clamps and careful work.. amd metal matching up perfect with factory trunk lid! 0 welding for gaps ! 3/16" to 1/4"

Marty

1970 Barracuda with all original sheet metal.

3/16" on the sides and 1/4" at the top.

Flatdad

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to those who contributed, especially the pictures showing how they look on the car! :thankyou:

Jsand73440

I know this post is over a year old, but i was curious of the outcome, and what your thoughts are of getting the gaps closer. I welded in a new tail panel, Dutchman panel, and driver side quarter panel. I thought i had the gaps close, but it turned into a mess. Quarter is to far in on the tail panel. I cut it lose and pulled it out as much as i could, but i still cant get it out for enough. Has anyone ever cut the top of your quarter and pried it outward and welded in? I looked at cutting the edges on the deck lid and welding the edges, but I'm afraid to take much off the edge, because of making it to narrow for the trim edge peice.

SRT392

when i did my trunk floor, tail lite pnl, and drivers 1/4 pnl i set my deck lid gaps at paint stick and made sure they matched the full length

rhamson

I replaced my trunk lid with an AMD part and it didn't match for S#!T. The gaps were way off as much as 3/8"and the curvature wasn't even close to the quarter panels or the crown in the center of the trunk. I welded rod on and gaped the joints and bent the hood to match the quarters and the crown at the dutch mans panel. I got the gaps to match the doors and hood at 3/16".

Jsand73440

Wow, you got those gaps looking great. My gaps are too narrow on the sides and probably 1/2 or so wide in the back.

headejm

:iagree:

Here are a few shots of my 1970 Challenger with all original body panels. Just measured the gaps all around the trunk lid - 7/32 to 1/4 on average. More toward the 7/32 size.

rhamson

Thanks man. I am probably way to anal on things like this but I always hate when I finish something I say to myself I could have done that a little better.

jimynick

You're not anal, you're just fussy and that's not a bad thing. Just be aware that if you finangle the deck lid gaps into a 1/4' position, then you're setting a precedent for the doors, fenders and hood panels and you may not want to go there based on the oem fits. Just a heads up and it's your car and your call.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Flatdad

Quote from: Jsand73440 on January 30, 2022, 03:46:03 PM
I know this post is over a year old, but i was curious of the outcome, and what your thoughts are of getting the gaps closer. I welded in a new tail panel, Dutchman panel, and driver side quarter panel. I thought i had the gaps close, but it turned into a mess. Quarter is to far in on the tail panel. I cut it lose and pulled it out as much as i could, but i still cant get it out for enough. Has anyone ever cut the top of your quarter and pried it outward and welded in? I looked at cutting the edges on the deck lid and welding the edges, but I'm afraid to take much off the edge, because of making it to narrow for the trim edge peice.

It sounds like my problem is/was opposite of yours, gaps too wide vs too narrow. I probably had to test fit and adjust each quarter 40 TIMES per side before I was satisfied. I also slit every flange where there was a formed corner to relieve any tension on the quarter, allowing it to flex more easily into the position I wanted. Taping the trim pieces to the trunk and quarters was pretty useful for reference too. My (Goodmark?) dutchman panel needed to be narrowed as well.