Main Menu

I need a photo of original 1970 Cuda rear bumper bracket to frame bolts

Started by njsteve, April 11, 2020, 11:47:00 AM

Previous topic Next topic

njsteve

I am trying to sort through a bucket of old bolts from old project cars. Does anyone have a photo of the correct bumper bracket to body bolts for a 1970 Cuda? The four large ones. I have an old pile of bolts that I am sorting through. I think they have an intregral washer attached to the bolt with serrations on the mating area?

Thanks!

anlauto

Kits are available in reproduction. Basically a 7/16 X1 1/2 or so bolt, with eight thick flat washers. they also have retainers to hold the bolts on the brackets for installation and nuts :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

njsteve

I appreciate the aftermarket source info.

I am actually looking for what the original OEM bolt looks like for exact restoration purposes. I have decades worth of random body bolts from Mopar and GM. Just trying to ID four of the correct ones from my bucket.

anlauto

Oh sure, I wasn't sure how exact you wanted. The kits are pretty accurate but sometimes have different head markings.
Here's the correct bolts according to Dave Wise.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

soundcontrol

I'm removing my rear bumper soon, maybe even today, (untouched 70 Barracuda), I can take a picture of them.

njsteve

Thanks! I am especially interested in how much thread is on the bolt versus unfinished section. I have a drawer of what could be bumper bolts or smallblock chevy head bolts that are the same size.

anlauto

The chart in the first picture shows the dimensions of the bolt. :alan2cents:

RJChallenger

In the chart Allen posted the threads are 1 inch and 120 thousands of an inch or  1 1/8" of thread.

RUNCHARGER

TX9: For sure, the bolt bin on one side of the line was probably filled up at a different time than the other side's bin. I've had a few instances where one side's fasteners were different than the other. Of course after 50 years it is always possible someone pulled the bumper and used whatever fasteners they could find as well.
Sheldon

soundcontrol

I removed my bumper, here is some pict. Let me know if you need more.
5/8 head on the bolt, 11/16 on the nut.

anlauto

The ones in Soundcontrol's pictures look shorter and more correct then the Dave Wise book.

soundcontrol

Here you go.
Total length 36mm (1 1/2"), non threaded area 5mm (13/64")

anlauto

...'fraid dem 'mericans won't be able to read dat funky measuring stick u got dare bye... :sweden: :canada:

JS29