Main Menu

Inner fender install problem...

Started by moparman13045, June 08, 2020, 10:35:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

moparman13045

We are restoring a 1970 AAR Cuda that my dad has owned since 1974 and was wrecked but fixed back in the day, just tacked in the oem replacement front frame rails, car is on a jig per factory specs, all measurements are within 1/8"  We are using all oem inner fenders radiator support etc for replacement.  They all look fine, no signs of any damage etc.

We are in the process of clamping and clecoing the pieces onto the frame rails.  Everything is fitting great except the passenger inner fender.

The only thing about the passenger inner fender piece is that we were able to save the factory angled piece of metal that comes off the firewall and meets the back of the inner fender.  It appears to be undamaged and in great shape.  The inner fender lays nice onto that and onto the radiator piece that connects the front of the inner fender to the car.  It also lays nice along its bottom edge onto the frame rail etc.

The only problem is at the round part of the top of the shock tower, there is a gap about 3/4" between it and the inner fender.  Has anyone run into this before?  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.  I attached some pictures so you can see what I mean.

B5fourspeed

I just check mine that should be flush. I could take sone measurements if you would like.

JS29

:welcome: @moparman13045  What is the measurement center to center at your shock hole? 

moparman13045

Thank you for the replies...we are getting 35" center to center shock hole.  If anyone has some measurements that would help out in this case, that would be awesome, the service manual doesn't have them for that stuff that I can find and not much online.

JS29

Center to center on a 1973 challenger i have 34". on the tower ware you adjust the cam bolts, out side to out side is 34" as well. What area do you live in, I am in northern Oneida County.  :handshake:                                                                                            P.S. I measured the front bracket out side of the ears.  :yes:

moparman13045

Thank you, we are in cortland county.  I will check those cam bolt area measurements too, thank you.

moparman13045

Can anyone else comment on the shock tower measurement of 34" center to center for a 1970 cuda?  I don't have the rubber bushings in there so I think I'd need the measurement without them in if anyone else has that?  Thank you in advance!

70 Challenger Lover

I had a similar issue on my RT which had once been in an accident. What I did was level the car off perfectly on supports, then drop a plumb line down from the top of the shock tower on the wheel side. This allows you to measure how far the line is from the rail and compare side to side. It's a crude way to verify the angle of the shock tower is equal on both sides. That's more important than how far apart they are.

Once I had mine equal (they were not to start), I found the distance between shock holes was still 1/2" different from another car I had so there must be variances in every car. My inner fender panel still did not fit perfect but I massaged it to fit anyway. The final test is wheel alignment when the car's back together. On mine, the alignment speced out perfect and drove perfect too. Shock tower angle is what you're looking for.

JS29

That is why I gave the measurement at the adjustment bracket. I am thinking the tower needs a tweak.  :alan2cents: 

moparman13045

Ok thank you guys, yeah I was wondering if the shock tower center to centers are not exact science.  We cant seem to get them under 34.5" and everything else line up and like it.  I was wondering if the angle of the shock towers can be measured, thats a good way to do it, I will try that too.  Thanks

We are much closer at the outside edge of the cam bolt adjusters at about 34.25."  I also put a level vertically on the outside of the framerail between the firewall and the shock tower and I'm wondering if anyone else has done that?  Ours read almost level there on both framerails.  Thanks for all of the help its much appreciated by the way.

moparman13045

I tried the plumb bob on the outside of the shock tower method, and it looks like the passenger side one is tilted out a touch too much.  In order to tweak it some you guys are just meaning to rotate the whole rail some correct?  Or is there something else you mean? Thank you again for the help its much appreciated.

JS29

The problem it seams would be the top of the tower needs to come in.  :alan2cents:

70 Challenger Lover

What I had to do was cut the welds and move it, then reweld. I tried tweaking it without cutting the welds but it was nearly impossible without a frame rack.

moparman13045

Thanks everyone yes, we were able to cut the shock tower off fairly easily.  Now to get it back on, the plumb bob method works well!

YellowThumper

Glad to see you getting it sorted. Plumb bobs are worth their weight in gold. Save it for your wheel alignment at the end.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.