Main Menu

Inner fender plastic shields

Started by B5fourspeed, April 04, 2021, 01:52:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

B5fourspeed

I am trying to clean up my shields.They had some old undercoating on them.I tried lacquer thinner and that did not do much.The undercoating is just in certain areas not the whole thing.I was going to try paint remover.Any ideas out there.Thank you.

Floyd

anlauto

Varsol or a paint remover. I always give them a thin coat of flat black afterwards to freshen them up and give them a uniformed appearance. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Marty

RUNCHARGER

A lot of times if you can twist the piece the undercoating will separate and you can pick most of it off.
Sheldon

dodj

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 04, 2021, 04:47:12 PM
A lot of times if you can twist the piece the undercoating will separate and you can pick most of it off.
This is what I found easiest.  Couple twists,  most can be peeled out.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

usraptor

I  just worked a putty knife under an edge and it came right off.

B5fourspeed

The undercoating on mine is like tar.It is not dried out.I used goo gone spray and lacquer thinner.Man it is messy.Got one done and painted.Almost done with the other one.New ones are 300 bucks with shipping.You can buy a lot of paint stripper for that.

FE5CUDA

Quote from: anlauto on April 04, 2021, 02:15:10 PM
Varsol or a paint remover. I always give them a thin coat of flat black afterwards to freshen them up and give them a uniformed appearance. :alan2cents:

Don't use flat, not even close, the bare plastic is way closer to satin than flat.

B5fourspeed

I used sems trim black with some adhesive promoter.They turned out great.