Main Menu

Late build 71 Challenger bumpers

Started by Skdmark, May 28, 2020, 03:41:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Skdmark

Over the years I have heard that late build 71 Challengers were starting to get the 72 bumper with the 2 vertical slots for the jack. I have a 520 SPD 71 Challenger with a slotted front bumper AND it had the 72-74 triangle shaped license plate bracket on it. Don't know if the bumper was replaced or not prior to me getting the car. I've had the car for 30 years. A lot can happen in the first 19 years..

If you or anyone you know has a 71 Challenger with the slotted 72 bumper:
1. What was the SPD?
2. Which license plate holder did it come with the 70-71 or the 72-74?
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

xx88man

My 71 Challenger spd 609 has this slotted bumper. License plate bracket is not triangle shaped. This car is original with less than 45000 miles. My pic came out sideways
Keep yer foot in it

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

xx88man

Keep yer foot in it

GrandpaKevin

Wife's 1/27 SPD Challenger bumpers have no slots, I'm pretty sure the rear is original.

My 6/16 SPD Challenger has slots, no idea if they are original but the rear and all it's hardware looked to be untouched when I removed it.

A more obvious and permanent difference I've found is the top shock bolt access hole in the trunk.
On my wife's early build car the hole is on the top like a 1970 model challenger, on my late build car the hole is on the side like a 72 and later Challenger.

anlauto

Here's a question.....a 1971 Challenger built with the bumpers WITH the jack slots....What bumper jack did it come with ? The separate hook type or the slot type  :brainiac:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Skdmark

Mine has the hook type.
Only my front bumper has the slots. Again, no idea if my front bumper was changed.
Regarding the shock mount access in the trunk, mine is the later style.

The 71 barracuda I just picked up is an early build car with SPD 812.
It has 70 style shock mount access in the trunk and 70 console. The interior appears to be very original so I doubt the console was changed. Using up the parts until they were gone.
-Harlan Ellison

hemicar1971

My 1971 Challenger SPD of May 24, 1971 but has a June door sticker, has the slotted bumpers on the front and back. These bumpers still have the provision for the hook, so these bumpers have both previsions for a hook and a slot. Also Challenger has the late tach in th dash, the 1971 trunk floor pan with the access holes that face the back. It also has the three studs on each inner fender like the AARs and TA and with the studs the three in the middle on the fender take nuts. No trangle piece on the rear valance but that could of been taken off before I got the Challenger but I hae never seen that on any other ebody in 1971. There is more stuff that Chrysler changed before the end of the 1971 Production.