Main Menu

Lower Grille Insert Attachment to Valence

Started by wegner426, August 09, 2018, 08:48:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

wegner426

Does anyone have any picture of the attaching hardware for the lower grille insert (the piece that attaches to the lower front valence with the turn signals integrated)?

It seems like there may be more to this than just the valence, grille insert and some J clips and bolts.  Mine doesn't want to line up out on the ends if I pull the tabs for the insert down to meet the valence attaching point.  This is a new AMD lower valence, the OEM seemed to suffer the same issue.

Here are a couple photos, looks like there should be a spacer in there or something.  If I pull the plastic mounting tab on the insert down to meet the metal, it pulls the leading edge of the insert away from the front edge of the valence and creates a gap.

Thanks in advance,
Chad

gzig5

https://www.classicindustries.com/shop/1973/plymouth/cuda/parts/exterior-trim/grill-components/

I think this is the HW kit I got.  Mine with an original valance does the same thing on one side.  I used a pair of wide panel pliers to change the angle of the lip the plastic part slips over.  It's not easy to get the old plastic part to line up.  I think they shrink a little.   You may have to tweak the metal part to work within the limits of the plastic one.  Hopefully the guys that have done a couple of these will have a better answer.

wegner426

Thanks for your input.  I was afraid it was an issue with the plastic piece, I would order a new insert if I thought it would fit correctly.  On the grille parts you linked to, do you remember where the 2 stainless screws with the round white plastic inserts go?  And lastly where do the 4 black plastic square inserts go?

gzig5

I don't know if it is correct, but I used the stainless screws at each corner of the lower grill to the valance panel.  It seem the right place to go.  The black things are for attaching the upper grill to the hood extension.  they slide into slots on the under side of the hood extension.  The six sheetmetal type screws and corresponding clips are for the headlight buckets.  No idea where the two white plastic pieces go or all the machine screws.  I don't have the main grill in due to a damaged fender, but I only see about six holes to mount it so I don't know why there are so many.  The lower grill only used three if I remember correctly.  The grill was out on my car when I got it so I really don't have a good reference.

Have my 73 grille out to do the blackout , done , and argent grille paint, need some Plasticfix.
Same here about correctness, not sure, but you can see Phillips screws at corners and bolts with warshers (Pgh ) at the lower attachment corners.
And per my normal, I didn't bag or label any of the grille attachment bolts thinking I would remember where they went. Ugh.

nsmall

Let me know if you want more pics.  Just be careful to Not tighten anything as the grill is plastic and will break.  I didnt use any spacers, but mine isnt 100% flush or perfect by any means.

wegner426

Thank to you all that helps.  I may make up some sort of attaching bracket or spacer so that things can be tightened down tight and kill some of the rattles I am fighting in the front end of the body.