Main Menu

M46 scoop details

Started by cuda hunter, May 22, 2020, 10:36:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

I've been asked for specs on the M46 scoops.  Mounting studs, screws and nuts.

I'm not sure of the thread sizes yet but I will go to the hardware store and use their screw gauge to get the exact threads on the studs and the screws.

I've only been able to get one complete screw and three nuts from the scoops I own.  I removed the two scoops that had the one screw and three nuts. 

There are two different types of metal that the rubber is mounted to.  There is standard metal and there is aluminum.  I do have one scoops that appears to be aluminum but is not silver like the other aluminums I have.  It has a golden tent to the aluminum. Not sure if that one with the golden sheen is a different metal or if it is just discolored.

I have one set of scoops that did not receive the two studs.  The round blank spots are in place but no studs were molded into the metal blanks on the inside of the rubber. 

Aside from those two scoops every scoop I have seen received two studs on the top front and rear of the scoop. 

All scoops have 4 holes on the bottom,3 holes on the lower front and one hole on the lower rear.
2 of the front holes would have a 1" course thread phillips screw and the one lower rear hole would have a 1" course thread phillips screw.  There is one hole that is slightly larger than the other three lower holes that did not get a screw.  I believe it was to release water or moisture. 

the metal backed scoops all have rust and most have bubbled the front visible side of the scoop.  The aluminum backed scoops have stayed in really good condition with little to no bubbling on the front side. 
However, the aluminum scoops do not hold their top studs well at all.  Most are broken or pulled through.  Most of the metal backed scoops have their studs intact.

All the lower phillips screws I have seen are rusted and very difficult to remove from the body metal. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

These scoops are dated to 9-69
13.bh23G0B113378 Fy1 X9 9/69
Aluminum

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

These scoops are dated 4/70
24.bh23G0B294374 Ew1 x9 4/70
Metal backed

cuda hunter

These two scoops came from the same car. 
No fender tag but,
7.bh23G0E104403 Fe5 X9 9/69
One scoops was aluminum and one scoop was metal backed.
should have bought this car.  Was a donor car for a 71 cuda.  My first set of scoops.  Owner didn't even know he had them.  I finally got the trunk opened and there they were. 

cuda hunter

These are both metal backed. 
16.bh23N0B123012 Ev2 X9 915
Don't have them off the car yet so no better pictures than this. 

cuda hunter

By far the best scoops I have is an aluminum scoop with blue paint on the rear. 
I believe it to be from a B5 car. 
Aluminum backed. 
It was used to make an early mold from the gentleman who remakes these. 

cuda hunter

this scoop is the golden colored aluminum backed scoop.

cuda hunter

Here are some measurements for the stud placements and the 1" phillips screw placement.

cuda hunter

More measurements

cuda hunter

And this is a scoop that I purchased as a single.  It's in really bad shape as visible on the front.  The rust has just eaten up this scoop.   

cuda hunter

And another scoop that is in pretty poor condition.  It's been hit and damaged

cuda hunter

first pic is a comparison of the scoop with no studs and another scoop with studs. 
The following pics are some profile pictures.

cuda hunter

And finally a rough scoop that has some gold paint drips on the rear. 
Aluminum backed. 

Topcat

Nice collection.  :cheers:

So Josh,

How many scoops you have?
Enough to put Raisin Bran outta business?   :haha:

cuda hunter

Not enough. I only have one scoop in good enough condition for a restoration.  ( thanks a thousand times to Vlad)

Ridiculous to say how much cash I have sunk into purchasing these scoops I have. 
Not trying to brag in anyway.  Just want to put the information out there for those others who have these cars and are looking for these scoops.

If someone has a pristine passengers side I would be interested and will pay fair market value on the scoop.