Main Menu

Minor Shaker Question I think With Pics

Started by Daveh, March 20, 2018, 08:52:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey guys,

I'm dry fitting my shaker on my 71 Challenger (Bubble not painted yet) to make sure everything lines up well and I hit a snag.  I'm running a rebuilt small block 340. I did a Tremec TKO 600 conversion.  It all went fine with minor adjustments.  Everything is new and I mean everything.  So don't assume something is warn because it's not.  When I installed the shaker assembly on the new Edelbrock Performer intake (#21763) the shaker lines up well except for the passenger corner closest to the windshield, it dips lower (see pics).  The rest of the shaker is even.  It's sitting on top of a new Edelbrock Thunder series 650 carb (#1806). 

Some may say check the driveline angle.  That's not it the driveline angle is dead nuts on.  I'm thinking of just trying to bend that corner up just a bit to see that does anything.  I can only bend it so much because I don't want to kink it and then have a gap between the baseplate and shaker.  It's needs to be very subtle.

I have pictures below.  Has anyone ever experienced this?  If so what did you do to correct the dip or does anyone else have a recommendation on a fix?  As always I really appreciate all of your help.  Thanks

One more question how close does the baseplate come to the wiper motor.  Mine is right next to it with the shaker centered in the hood opening not leaving much room for the rubber gasket. 

Dave

Spikedog08

Please post some more pictures of the shaker with the hood open and with out the bubble so we can see the baseplate . . .

:thinking:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

anlauto

Once completely assembled and  bolted down firmly to the carb, you could try and give it a "tweek" by pulling up on the back corner and pushing down on the front at the same time...standing in the engine compartment crouched over the shaker :'(

Also with the seal in place the hood might push the shaker into a better position when closed....maybe.....but I doubt it.... :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Daveh

Ok here are the pics without the bubble.  Remember this is a dry fit but that shouldn't make a difference if it's level it's lever with or without the gaskets.  The rest of the bubble seems to line up within a good tolerance. 

6bblgt

is engine square? choke blade/air horn doesn't look parallel with cowl - place a level across the valve covers

6bblgt

does adapter plate have any adjustment available forward?

76orangewagon

Quote from: anlauto on March 20, 2018, 10:00:05 AM
Once completely assembled and  bolted down firmly to the carb, you could try and give it a "tweek" by pulling up on the back corner and pushing down on the front at the same time...standing in the engine compartment crouched over the shaker

That's the approach I would take. put a level across the valve covers with the shaker base off and then with the shaker base on place the level across the back and see if you get the same reading on the level, if not then the stamped metal base needs some adjustments.

Daveh

Here is the pic with the level on the valve covers.  I put a smaller level across the base plate with the same results. It's a hair off center not even a 1/16" barely noticeable.  I verified that the tires were inflated properly and I measured from the floor to the wheel lip and they are all the same. 

So what's next?????    :dunno:

Racer57

If the engine, shaker base, etc are all level, then the only thing left is the hood. Does it line up the same on both rear corners in relation to the fenders ? If they are, then had the fenders been taken off and not properly re-aligned which then throws off the fender to hood alignment ?  I've never had a fender off so I don't really have a clue about it. Just thinking out of the box.

Daveh

The fenders and hood AMD are new.  They were installed by an old school body man that's been doing muscle cars for 40 years.  He's a friend of mine and is meticulous about everything.  But to answer you question everything is aligned and level we double checked that almost at every step as we assembled the car.  Besides it's just the one corner the rest is aligned fine.

I think the general consensus is that I should try tweaking the base plate slightly.  I can't see any other option????   

mopar jack

I would put a regular round air filter on the carb that should clear the hood and see how it lines up.

Chryco Psycho

To me it looks like the whole right side is low with the shaker bubble on the right side looks low & the base looks low on the right side in the picture with the hood open & the just the base but if the engine is level the base could be mis-stamped a bit , I would tweak the center section of the base more than the outer part , have you checked to see if the crab ring is level with the out edge of the stamping by putting a straight edge across the carb ring & measuring the height distance at the edge ?
The wiper motor clearance is what it is , there is no adjustment & it looks normal  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

I think the bubble is sitting too high. If your engine is not perfectly level in the chassis I would shim one motor mount. If the engine is sitting perfectly level in the chassis then I would massage the shaker baseplate.
I check level on the rad support and cowl then off the carb mounting flange on the intake manifold.
Sheldon

nsmall

I have nothing for you, but this is my first peek at your ride.  Great work, looking most excellent Dave  :bradsthumb:

Daveh

Thanks Nsmall it's been a long road but it's really coming together.

I've figured out that if I put a little black foam insulation between the two baseplates on the left side it will give me the height that I need and you will never see it to look at the car.  That way I can still use the gasket between the bubble and the baseplate without issues.  I think that's the best solution unless someone else has another idea.