Main Menu

Molding clips

Started by Mrbill426, April 25, 2022, 02:11:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

Been looking for molding clips for the upper moldings on top of the door and by the quarter window but every listing I find so far says the aftermarket replacements will not fit the factory moldings and only the repop ones.  Not sure why, maybe not right width?  Anyone run into this?  Have a source for the original type?  I contacted Roseville and he says that is all they have, the ones that apparently don't fit.  Classic Industries' catalog says the same thing, won't fit originals.  Mine look like this.

anlauto

I find that hard to believe. The above posted clip is now available in reproduction, but I've only tried using them with reproduction trim, and they worked great, so that doesn't really answer your question...I know there were issues with the 1970 style clips, I ran into issues with them before  :headbang:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

It makes zero sense to me.  If they claim their repop moldings are made to original specs (assume all dimensions) why would the repop clips not fit  :huh: both the original and repop moldings  :thinking:
Yeah  :headbang: here too

Quote from: anlauto on April 25, 2022, 02:42:08 PM
I find that hard to believe. The above posted clip is now available in reproduction, but I've only tried using them with reproduction trim, and they worked great, so that doesn't really answer your question...I know there were issues with the 1970 style clips, I ran into issues with them before  :headbang:

anlauto

I'll have a look around....I know I have a set of the new reproduction clips pictured above, and I should be able to find an original clip kicking around....I'll put the two side by side and report back..
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

If it helps here are some measurements.
I have also added another style clip that came off some other moldings on the car.

Quote from: anlauto on April 25, 2022, 04:29:18 PM
I'll have a look around....I know I have a set of the new reproduction clips pictured above, and I should be able to find an original clip kicking around....I'll put the two side by side and report back..

Mrbill426

Thanks.  Unless I am looking at the wrong "listing",  those clips are made to snap into holes in the sheet metal; mine are held in place by sliding over "pins" welded to the sheet metal.

Quote from: fc7cuda on April 26, 2022, 08:02:17 AM
Will these work for you, scroll down - https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3029527/4/e-body-parts-for-sale-2nd-quarter.html

mccannix

I had a few originals clips on my 71 Cuda that became brittle so I got a set of those reproductions clips, put them on and tried putting my original molding back on and it was a b!tch to get back on.
I eventually went back with the original clips

Mrbill426

@mccannix thanks for the information; I was wondering if they were too wide or too narrow for the original moldings.

Quote from: mccannix on April 29, 2022, 05:18:55 AM
I had a few originals clips on my 71 Cuda that became brittle so I got a set of those reproductions clips, put them on and tried putting my original molding back on and it was a b!tch to get back on.
I eventually went back with the original clips

mccannix

I found they were a touch too wide.

It was hard as hell to force the molding over it completely.

moparroy

I bought a set from 521 reproductions - have not had a chance to try them yet (getting close) but I do expect to have to tweek them with a file firstly to get over the studs that now have several layers of primer and paint on them - and I guess now maybe the width too. One thing I did notice as I just started cleaning the trim for polishing, the underside lips on the door top pieces were bent down / in at the location of the clips. This trim is aluminum (had to remove the anodizing) so I wonder if that happens when they are pressed down and may need to be straightened to reuse?

Mrbill426

Update... found them at R/T Specialties (Tom) told me the ones they have fit the original moldings and explained that a lot of the aftermarket ones are basically too thick.  So we shall see how it goes...