Main Menu

More money

Started by Mopar5, May 21, 2020, 06:08:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mopar5

Just got out my taillights from storage  and the bezels look bad I just got a quote to plate them for 450.00 in Hayward CA just asking opinions does that seem like the going rate?

Katfish

I'd consider buying some repos before getting those plated.

anlauto

AS LONG AS YOU GOT A GOOD CHROME SHOP THAT CAN REPAIR ALL THE PITS, make them smooth without destroying all the details and character lines, you'll be okay. Typically re-chromed ones don't look as good as they did new because of all the grinding and polishing to end up going through...

In my opinion the price you were quoted seems extremely cheap, but I guess a lot depends on your location.  :huh:

I prefer the new reproductions, but even they cost more then your chrome job estimate  :dunno:

https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product/70-challenger-tail-lamp-housing-chrome-3-pc/
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mr Lee

I dont remember what i paid but I would guess that more than half of that price is going towards all the body work needed on em.  Maybe consider learning how to fix em up yourself to save some dough.  ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Topcat

Are they Pot Metal?

Pot Metal is extremely expensive to restore from what I've read before.

Santa Clara/San Jose near the Shark tank has a plater you can check into.

1 Wild R/T

Most that get replated loose the detail lines, the pits are usually twice as deep as they raise above the surface so in order to remove the pit the whole detail line gets ground out.... The correct way is the fill the pits but very few platers do that...

Buy the reproduction bezels...   :alan2cents:

BTW looks like a single exhaust car originally?  The left side bezel has much less pitting that the right side bezel.... 

Back in the 80's I use to search for six cylinder cars in the wrecking yards cause they had the cleanest tail light bezels...

Mopar5

Thank you everyone lot of good info and some things I did not  even think about such as the metal removal to remove the pitting. I have put so much time and money into this car and I still need , Rims tires, Interior ,Vinyl top, Rally Gauges, Dash and of course engine and trans I am sure I left a lot of stuff out. I don't even keep the receipts in one place any more because I think if I look at them I would get a dose of reality. :o

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: Mopar5 on May 22, 2020, 06:53:46 AM
I don't even keep the receipts in one place any more because I think if I look at them I would get a dose of reality. :o

I get it... I save my paper work but quit count years ago. Some things are better I don't know       :ohyeah:

Mopar5

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 21, 2020, 08:47:53 PM
Most that get replated loose the detail lines, the pits are usually twice as deep as they raise above the surface so in order to remove the pit the whole detail line gets ground out.... The correct way is the fill the pits but very few platers do that...

BTW looks like a single exhaust car originally?  The left side bezel has much less pitting that the right side bezel.... 

Back in the 80's I use to search for six cylinder cars in the wrecking yards cause they had the cleanest tail light bezels...
Interesting observation but its a N code RT dual exhaust

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Mopar5 on May 22, 2020, 09:04:21 AM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 21, 2020, 08:47:53 PM

Interesting observation but its a N code RT dual exhaust

Bet ya it got swapped at some point...

Mopar5

Katfish

Another option, depending on what level of quality you're looking for, is to find a nice used set.
I was able to pick up a complete set of bezels and all the lenses in almost mint condition for about half of what the repo bezels cost.

Sounds like you have some time, put out a wanted ad and see what happens.

Mopar5

I am thinking along those lines.