Main Menu

Mounting wide hood molding

Started by Mixup7071, March 10, 2018, 11:19:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mixup7071

Wondering if any one knows what kind of fasteners that mount the 1971 challenger wide hood and fender moldings, thanks.

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site , someone must have info on this , does the moulding have pins , do you have a picture ?

Mixup7071

Yes it has smooth pins that goes through the hood, which I have to drill hole's in the hood, then it comes around the front of the hood and bolt's where the smaller lip molding went and the holds are smooth in it. Thanks for the welcome.

anlauto

Member @YYZ  is the resident expert on 71 Challenger wide hood moldings... :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mixup7071

YYZ

I'll take some pictures tomorrow after work.

But as a primer, the hood piece attaches as follows:

- there are holes drilled in the top of the hood to accommodate the studs on the moulding (about 3/8" if I recall correctly)

- stamped speed nuts, as used on the E-body dashpad are used to secure the studs.

- the threaded bosses on the inside of the moulding should align with the holes for the regular front hood trim

- these are secured with fine thread bolts.  Heads are dished, they have 3 raised bumps in the dish (arranged in a triangle), and are plated with a flat, bright green finish.  Sort of a cross between yellow zinc and the green on the ground screw in a home electrical outlet box

For the fenders, this is where it gets interesting:

- they wrap over the front of the headlight bezels -- so the nice thing is that if your bezels are damaged, it gets hidden!

- Philips head screws go through the holes along the top of the moulding (3 total)

- underneath are special black plastic spacers/anchors

- the spacers are pressed into holes drilled into the top edge of the fender (again, about 3/8") and they work like a drywall anchor. 

- there are smaller (1/8"?) holes drilled in front of the larger ones which take a locating pin from the clips to keep everything in place.

Pics are worth 1000 words, so there will be some up soon.

Mixup7071

Thanks very much, pictures would be great, the mounting holds in front of the molding seems smooth so I guess the fine
threaded screw's make the threads in the molding, it doesn't look like this molding was every installed. Unless anybody makes the plastic pieces I'll have to try and make some. Thanks again.

YYZ

Pics. 

I have mounted the fender pieces in the past without the clips as I didn't know that they existed.  They are harder to find than shaker stuff.

Mixup7071

Thanks very much picture's are great