Main Menu

Post Media Blasting Best Practices? Transport if Raining?

Started by cudaragtop, January 08, 2017, 07:46:47 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cudaragtop

Dropped off the 69 Fastback with the Media Blaster on Friday. They will use a combination of Plastic for the thinner areas and sand for the areas that require more aggressive blasting. I'm having them do the entire car, inside, outside and interior pieces.
Here it is Friday after putting some windows in the quarters so they can blast more of the inner structure. I have new AMD full quarters, One Piece Floor, Trunk Drops, Front and Rear Valances...

My question is about transporting it from the blaster to my painter 25 miles in what will likely be a rainy day based on living in the Seattle-Everett area and winter weather.

Should I wrap the car with a tarp and car cover and shrink wrap to prevent it from getting wet.  I know it can't hurt but is it necessary?
Would it be better to spray any kind of rust inhibitor or does that just become something else that needs to be removed?  :dunno:

Was thinking my 20'x30' poly tarp spread half over the top and half under followed by a generous amount of shrink wrap.
While it's on the rotisserie, I could have my son twirl the car as I wrap it...

If it's Dry and Clear it will be a moot point but the long range forecast is for rain most days for the next 10 days.

It should be ready the end of this week or early next.
My painter will epoxy prime everything. Some areas will get POR15. I will get it back with all the sheet metal and body work done and the interior and jams painted.

I don't think I want the outside painted until we have test fit everything.  :thinking:

Thoughts?

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

anlauto

I always have the same issues...I really need to buy an enclosed trailer, but in the mean time I always wait for dry clear weather....but that's sometimes impossible. :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

Same rain issues here in Vancouver, WA.  Blasting in the winter sucks!   :angry:   But I never get freshly blasted metal wet.  Here's some options:

• Rent an Enclosed Trailer
  • Pay the Blaster to put it in Expoxy
  • Wait for a dry day

My blaster will put the car in Epoxy for me for a few extra bucks.  I provide the epoxy and he'll spray.  I like to DA the outside panels of the body before epoxy to make sure all the media is out of the metal.  It's to coarse to wipe down after blasting if it's not DAed first.  Then blow the car off super well (helps to spin it on a rotisserie).  Do everything you can to not get the car wet after blasting.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

I had a blaster that would epoxy it for me too.....Thought that was great until my metal guy discovered lots of areas being primed on top of very poor blasting....and to make matters worse, the product he was using was not the greatest according to my body shop....

So now I have a new blaster....I pick them up in bare metal....transport to my body shop for priming so they can put THEIR product on it (no more excuses) then I'll move it to storage or the metal shop.

I have a long list of items I would like to buy for my business and an enclosed trailer is on there, but a ways from the top of the list. I just don't make enough money fast enough to invest in what I need. :bigmoney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cudaragtop

Thanks guys!

I'll hope for the best low % chance of rain window of opportunity.
Looks like this Friday has a a chance of being dry, after that it looks like showers every day but they are not that good at forecasting tomorrow let alone a week out...

If it looks like it will be wet out at all I'll wrap the bejesus out of it.  :bradsthumb:

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8