Main Menu

Needing some reference pics from other Challengers-I'm stuck

Started by 7E-Bodies, March 25, 2023, 01:16:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Hey all, I posted this recently and got some opinions (which are valued), but no pics. I'm looking for how other cars are filled in in this area where the quarter meets the drip edge. I'm getting ready to lead the quarters to the roof and would really like to see what is done here. Did the factory use seam sealer? Weld?
Please reply with a few pics if you can.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Dmod1974

My car had nothing there.  No seam sealer, and definitely not welded.  I welded and seam sealed that joint when I went back together though.

71vert340

Nothing from factory in mine. Will this area crack if body flexes?
Terry W.

Dmod1974

Quote from: 71vert340 on March 25, 2023, 02:41:44 PM
Nothing from factory in mine. Will this area crack if body flexes?
Terry W.

If it flexes bad enough it can.  Under that lip where the quarter window cat whisker strip goes is a really flimsy bracket that the folded over lip of the quarter panel is spot welded to in a few spots.  Each end of the bracket is spot welded to the drip rail (under the area in question) and to the door jamb pillar.  That's all that supports it.

Roll your windows up all the way and watch how much that area moves!  I welded mine up since flexing like that can't be good for the paint job.

7E-Bodies

Well, here's the passenger side after some surgical MIG welding. I pity the body man that ever has to remove this quarter. I'll still file and grind a tad more, but I'm happy with this.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green