Main Menu

New Right Side Mirror Install

Started by challengermaniac, July 15, 2020, 02:32:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

challengermaniac

Received a nice right outside mirror which came with the two screws and gasket and just wondering how well that would actually work or should I be looking to also get an install kit given I really want it to stay on the car!
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

anlauto

Yea you might want to put nutserts into the door rather them just self tapping metal screws :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

Definitely go with the nutserts! Harbor fright has a kit.  :alan2cents:

Rich G.

The kit he shows looks like nutserts . Looks like they are giving you a bolt to turn to draw the nutsert in.

anlauto

Quote from: Rich G. on July 15, 2020, 06:20:09 PM
The kit he shows looks like nutserts . Looks like they are giving you a bolt to turn to draw the nutsert in.

Yes, the kit pictures is the correct kit, he's asking if it's worth buying the kit or not... :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

What thread are the screws?  The Harbor Freight rivnut tool probably comes with the correct size.  It's a little more money then the "kit" but then you'd have the tool to use on future projects.

Dakota

I used that kit when reattaching my mirror.   It worked fine, and yes that is a nutsert that comes with it.   

Claudia

When I decided to add a passenger door mirror, my car was already painted.  I ended up just using machine screws with nuts on the backside to attach the mirror . . . I was afraid of damaging the paint putting in the nutserts.

Jay Bee

challengermaniac

All very good information for correctly installing a Nutsert.

Question, what additional precautions are necessary when installing a Nutsert to PAINTED metal other than first applying tape to the area to prevent scratches?

RUNCHARGER

I've done about 100 of these lately. Some into thin steel and aluminum and about 50 into fibreglass. The tool is fast, easy and  can make for a perfect job.
Sheldon

challengermaniac

Thanks for all of the information everyone. 

Feeling well informed this turned out to be a very easy install with great results and no impact to paint!

Dakota