Main Menu

NOS vs. Sheet Metal Repair Question

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, September 17, 2024, 06:35:32 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

I have an opportunity to buy an NOS left front fender for about $2500.  I have an original (not to the car) front fender that needs some work - area around the headlight was pushed in and the repair is mediocre at best with a LOT of filler, and the lower front section was cut off and used to repair another car.  I have another original fender that can be used as a donor.

Question for the group - is it cost effective to spend the money for an NOS fender and have minimal fit up I can do myself vs. having a metal fabricator repair what I already have (that is outside of my ability)?

Attached pics are the fender I have that needs repair, all pics are of the same fender just before and after paint removal.  I figure 16 hrs @ $150 / hr is $2400 anyway, plus i could sell the original fenders I have.  Any thoughts form those with experience in metal fab?

Thanks all, I know some of my questions are a bit out there and very subjective, but it helps just to throw things out there and hear others' opinions right or wrong.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

Cuda_mark

I used an NOS pass side fender on my car and even that needed some metal work. The headlight bucket wasn't welded in correctly. Lesson learned was that just because it is NOS, that doesn't mean there won't be some hours needed.

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: Cuda_mark on September 17, 2024, 08:00:29 AMI used an NOS pass side fender on my car and even that needed some metal work. The headlight bucket wasn't welded in correctly. Lesson learned was that just because it is NOS, that doesn't mean there won't be some hours needed.

Interesting...I guess the question is how much work might be needed.... uggh.  I would think a solid foundation would still be way less than fixing a hatchet job, but maybe not.  I would expect the area around the headlight to be a challenge to repair because of all of the contour, but I do not have any experience in this arena,  Plus, I figure the fenders I have should recoup maybe $500 between the 3 I have - wish I were proficient with a welder!
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

tparker

I had a smooshed in rear corner by the tail light. I was able to buy a cheap power air hammer from Harbor Freight and some body shaped rubber hammers for it from Eastwood. I was able to hammer out the dent to an acceptable level the just a touch of body filler to even the rest out. I don't have any real professional experience. It wasn't too hard. Takes a bit of time and some patience. Not sure if that is doable for your repair

mtull

I've read some NOS sheet metal (not all) was originally an assembly line reject.

70_440-6Cuda

as always great responses, and more things to consider!

Mr Cuda

I can second the opinion that some NOS parts were assembly line rejects.
 I had several black fenders that did not fit well, and had odd little details. Like a square nut on the fender flange for the hood bumper. And a poor fitting headlight bucket.
 But it was new, never painted, with a part number. Sold one for $1000 during the 2000 pre aftermarket peak.
 I have seen red oxide nos parts that have been more correct and fit better.
 I prefer good clean used.

torredcuda

If cost was about the same I would prefer the NOS one as long as there is no surface rust or damage to it, even if it needs a bit of work to fit correctly at least you are starting with clean, undamaged metal.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: torredcuda on September 18, 2024, 05:46:48 AMIf cost was about the same I would prefer the NOS one as long as there is no surface rust or damage to it, even if it needs a bit of work to fit correctly at least you are starting with clean, undamaged metal.

That was my initial thought.  I am going to get all the bondo off and see what it looks like, the lower section is an easy fix but I was disappointed when I saw all the bondo.