Main Menu

Number of hours for tear down? Number of hours for reassembly?

Started by nsmall, February 25, 2017, 10:32:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Sorry my posts are always short essays.

After 1.5 years of debate, I have finally decided to strip my car all the way down for media blasting.  The two best painters who are reasonable "price wise" in the city I live in have recommended it.  I trust them, plan to keep the car for a very long time.

Once they car is media blasted they both will give me a final quote.

I'm not an idiot, I know I will never get my money back out of this car.   I have other investments, so long story short, I know I will be at a loss and I'm okay with that as this is my dream car. 

So, Alan "the e-body master" gave me a rough quote of 25 hours to strip the car (he labels nothing, just tears it apart) .

I will restore EVERYTHING once the car is stripped. Alan asked me "However I don't understand who will be restoring all the parts that go back on your car once painted, or are you thinking you can just remove everything, have the car painted, and just put everything back on as is ?  Items like, dash assembly, steering column, pedals, ebrake, seats, interior panels, bumpers, grill, tail lights, front suspension, rear axle assembly, suspension etc...etc...etc..."
My answer to Alans question...The car is in great shape, I have a ton of new parts,  and I will have all of the Cuda parts (engine, tranny, interior, so on) in my garage and I will freshen up anything that needs love, other items I am going to just be content with.  Not building a trailer queen, attempting to build a beautiful driver.  This car is already a dream come true for me at this point.

Alan said around 120 hours to put the car back together assuming EVERYTHING is restored.

Main reason for this post...SO ASSUMING I DON'T DO ANY WORK IS 145 HOURS A FAIR NUMBER to be charged for stripping and putting the car back together? 

Just curious of others opinions as I am a rookie and I am about negotiate with the guy who is going to help me strip the car and I don't want to rip him off, nor be ripped off.  He charges $50 an hour.  He worked for Chrysler for 30 years, Ive seen his work, hes uptight, I like the guy.

Thanks 

Neil

PS on a side note...I plan to strip and put a lot of the car together, but I cant do it all because...A) I don't have extra time and B) Not experienced enough

Cuda Cody

The persons taking it apart and labeling everything should be the person putting it all back together.   :alan2cents:  And someone that has done a few E-Bodies will be much faster then someone doing it for the first time.  Paying someone a flat hourly rate might make them "milk" it for all it's worth.  Paying someone flat rate might make them hurry to get it done, but then fitment and quality might be at risk.   :notsure:

nsmall

@Cuda Cody

How many hours should I be billed to take out my dash?  Heater box is currently missing.

I understand whoever takes it apart should put it back together.   There's a lot of the car that I am comfortable and confident about stripping and  reassembling.

That being said if I start stripping (the car of course) then have another guy finish the tear down, I was thinking I would then have him put back what he took out and then I could finish the job.  Will that work?  I want to do some of the work for my own pride and dignity and mainly to save money.

Thanks

anlauto

To remove a dash should be one(1) hour or less.

The answers to the questions you're asking are impossible to answer because we (including yourself) really have no idea of the person's experience working on E Bodies....

You have to ask this person directly "how much time to do this?"..."how much time to do that?" etc...etc... If you're comfortable paying him that amount, then go for it.... :takemymoney:

When I pay anybody money to do something for me, whether it's the kid who cuts my grass, or my friend that paints inside my house (keeps the wife happy).....the first thing I think of ismy time.....I think of how long it would take me to do it and whether or not I would rather pay someone for their service.
The kid that cuts my grass charges me ten bucks......I would rather pay it, then drag out my lawn mower and sweat it out myself....

In your case you feel there's somethings you can't handle, or can't find time for, then you will be at this guys
s mercy and will have to pay him whatever he wants.

I can tell right now that this project of yours is going to be a nightmare.....and it will only get worse the more people you involved.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Yup: 25 hours is totally reasonable for a tear down, after that your plan makes me uncomfortable. However you seem to understand what could happen and that's good.
Sheldon

Cudalbs

Oh Boy.......Neal, you and I have exchanged a few emails on this subject and I've told you I am by no means an expert but just a regular guy that got through the whole process once. I stuck with it and it took me about 2 years tear down to driving it. I would have to imagine you could find the time to tear down and bag and tag and photograph the whole car. I'm not sure what part of the tear down is making you uneasy but if you take pics and notes you can put it back together. Get your price for media blasting, metal work, body work and paint and while that is going on, (and it will probably go on for a while) you you can refurbish and replace the pile of stuff that you took apart. When you get that beautiful car back, you have notes pics and nice clean parts to put it back together with. All the while you will have these experts brains to pick with whatever problems you run into. If you need someone to get you through a jam, then you can pay somebody. You can't imagine how good you will feel driving it around knowing that it's your ideas and your blood sweat and tears that built it.
I agree with Alan, the more people the bigger the nightmare, and that's the last thing you want on a project that is supposed to be pure fun. Good luck with your decision Neal, we are all pulling for you. 
"Love those round taillight cars"

nsmall

I dont want a nightmare.  :(  I am having fun, want to continue to have fun.  I do overthink everything.  Only big decisions stress me out and I feel like I have no other "major decision" now that I plan to media blast. 

Front and lower grill, brakes, gas tank, engine, tranny, rear-end, exhaust, seats, and everything under the hood is new...done, minus a little paint. I have mostly all new or already restored OEM parts to finish the car. I have driven the car about 2000 miles since the summer of 2015, runs great.  Mechanically, I am good to go.  As for parts to finish the car, most have been test fitted and I have them safely stored.  Just lots of little corrections...painting the seat frames for example.

I was thinking of hiring one interior person to pull the headliner.  Any guess what that should cost me?  He is experienced, one hour? 

I was thinking of hiring someone to take out the front and rear glass as I plan to sell the glass.  Assuming the trim is gone, what should that cost me?  Glass is OEM, probably never taken out.

The only other worker I want to hire is a guy I trust.  He has a lift, people send him cars from all over the country. He only works on Mopars.  I just want some sort of a plan.  I dont like a contract that states...bill me whatever you want.  Yes I trust him, but I want an idea of costs.  At the same time, maybe thats what is fair as each car is different so maybe an estimate to tear a car down or put it back together is unreasonable?  I dont know, I am not an expert. 

I just was looking for some advice on what I expect to pay.  Seems like the best plan will be for me to strip what I can, and bring him what I have left and negotiate a price then.  Sound good?

Cuda Cody brings up a good point of milking vs rushing.  I mainly want to save money.  I dont have a lift, so trying to plan ahead a little.

Maybe my main problem is comprehending exactly what it takes to strip a car down/reassembly.  I just want to do this right the first time.

Thanks for your input.

HP_Cuda

I'd think that besides bodywork, paint, motor build/machining and maybe glass shouldn't be that hard to pull off.

Sure it will take time and you will get frustrated but once you do it, you'll be better off for it.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Chryco Psycho

do as much as possible yourself you care more then anyone else does
Or I can fly up & help

RUNCHARGER

Tear down is especially easy and it will give you confidence to put it back together. This forum will be a great resource if you hit any roadblocks.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

When I first got in to E-Bodies that is exactly what I did.  Neil; flew to my house and helped me tune a Brown Challenger RT / SE.  We did some neat stuff and had a lot of fun.  Plus I learned a lot in a short period of time.  Just need to have the space and money to make it happen. 

But over all, pulling a dash out is about 1 hour.  The dash assembly comes out whole and not hard to remove.  Helps to have 2 people when you go to lift it out.

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 26, 2017, 05:38:38 AM
do as much as possible yourself you care more then anyone else does
Or I can fly up & help

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 26, 2017, 09:34:12 AM
When I first got in to E-Bodies that is exactly what I did.  Neil; flew to my house  and helped me tune a Brown Challenger RT / SE.  We did some neat stuff and had a lot of fun.  Plus I learned a lot in a short period of time.  Just need to have the space and money to make it happen. 

I figured you'd have a private landing strip too ! :crying:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

nsmall

Any opinions on:

I was thinking of hiring one interior person to pull the headliner.  Any guess what that should cost me?  He is experienced, one hour? 

I was thinking of hiring someone to take out the front and rear glass as I plan to sell the glass.  Assuming the trim is gone, what should that cost me?  Glass is OEM, probably never taken out.

And lastly, what kind of tool would be best to buy to remove trim around the glass?

Neil, you are kind.

Thanks

Neil, not Panama Neil

Today at church this car was parked in the parking lot. This is the color I love....Toxic Orange

Cuda Cody

Removing the headliner is one of the easiest things to do.  They normally fall out with little effort.  You're going to put a new one in, right?

nsmall

The headliner in the car now looks newer.  I will try to take it out myself. I was planning on keeping it as it looks great  unless it gets destroyed.

Probably what's going to make the most sense is to dive in one day here soon and ask questions as I run into problems. 

Trim tool for unhooking  trim clips around the windshield and doors....  Any suggestions?  Would it be the same tool?

Thanks