Main Menu

Original N96 '70 'Cuda Shaker color question

Started by usraptor, January 29, 2018, 06:01:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

I was recently watching Barrett-Jackson or Mecum auctions and saw a "restored" 1970 N96 Shaker hood triple Black 440 'Cuda  come across the block. The commentators stated that it was an original X9 triple black Cuda and it came with the original broadcast sheet to prove it. They stated that the car had been restored back to original "factory" condition.  However, the Shaker bubble was gloss black, not argent or organosol back.  Is that possible that the car came with a gloss black shaker bubble?  I thought the only cars that got a body color shaker where the red cars.  I read several threads on here and C.C.com re shaker colors and most deal with the Challengers.  However, the few that said anything about black shakers said they were organosol black.   :dunno:

The reason I ask is that my original N96 '70 'Cuda (build date 6-1970) was originally lemon twist yellow.  When I bought the car the shaker was painted a flat black, I think.  I reason I said I think, is that if it had been painted it had been painted at least 25 years ago and/or if original color could have easily been faded. See attached picture).  Anyway, I changed my cars color to Black and it is now triple black.  I was going to paint the shaker bubble argent silver but if gloss black was an option I'd like to go that route as I really liked how it looked on the auction car.  Anybody have an answer for me?

anlauto

Gloss black was never an option for shaker bubbles :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

usraptor

Thanks Alan.  That was quick.  So with a black car is it supposed to be Argent silver or organosol black?

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

HEMICUDA

Same argent as the grille, the two match.  The only way you're going to get them to match is paint them at the same time.  You will also have to base color both the grille and bubble with light grey primer, the same base color is important so the shade of argent matches. 

usraptor

fc7cuda

Quote from: HEMICUDA on January 29, 2018, 06:28:29 PM
Same argent as the grille, the two match.  The only way you're going to get them to match is paint them at the same time.  You will also have to base color both the grille and bubble with light grey primer, the same base color is important so the shade of argent matches.

Important point.  :bigthumb:

anlauto

Were the grills and the shaker bubbles made at the same time in the same manufacturing plant ? :thinking:

kdcarman

Quote from: anlauto on January 30, 2018, 07:20:06 AM
Were the grills and the shaker bubbles made at the same time in the same manufacturing plant ? :thinking:

That is a good question.  How likely did a factory optioned car have the grill and shaker match if they were painted seperately?  hmm? 

ToxicWolf

Quote from: kdcarman on January 30, 2018, 07:27:35 AM

That is a good question.  How likely did a factory optioned car have the grill and shaker match if they were painted seperately?  hmm?

We all know the quality of assembly when these cars came off the line.  Ever looked at the welds?  :haha:  :wave:

HEMICUDA

Fram painted the grilles and the bubbles.

HEMICUDA

Quote from: kdcarman on January 30, 2018, 07:27:35 AM

The bubble and grille matched perfectly on my 3,900 mile survivor.

anlauto

Maybe member @mccannix can shed some light on this ? Terry were the 70 Cuda grills made by the same company in Ontario that made the 71 Cuda grills ? Was that the same company that made the shaker bubbles ?

What are the chance of them being all painted at the exact same time

mccannix

70 and 71 grills were manufactured at North American Plastics in Wallaceburg Ontario.
All grills were painted in house at NAP
Scoops were manufactured at Somerville-Belkin 3 hours away and shipped to Fram in Chatham, Ontario, .. unpainted.
Fram was the manufacturer of all the steel parts for the shaker system,
that is various bases, adapter ring, hot/cold doors, and lids and having them painted black over bare steel.
Cables, grills, seals,nameplates , filters, and the scoops all manufactured elsewhere,  were shipped in to Fram for the complete assembly.
Painting the scoops was thrust upon Fram and they were not happy, but initially did all the red ones and some early argent ones.
This was all told to me by the very man who hand painted those red and argent scoops .
After problems getting the argent to stick to the  material of the scoop, he convinced the Fram brass to have Chrysler
direct the manufacturer to ship scoops to NAP in Wallaceburg  since they were familiar with proper application and already using the argent paint.
After the argent paint  ( exact same as the grill paint ) was applied to the scoops, NAP expeadiated them 18 miles south to Fram in Chatham for final assembly.
An interesting fact is that my friend told me the best way he could get the argent to stick was to paint over an already red painted scoop.
I have seen several such scoops and I've owned this original one for 35 years.

anlauto