Main Menu

Paint booth ideas

Started by redgum78, September 19, 2017, 03:01:32 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Your temporary carport idea is a good one as it could be used for a carport when not used as a booth. Just make sure you have enough room around the car, even 4 feet per side is pretty tight to move around and keep the hose away from the car, so you're looking at least 16 feet wide I think. 20 feet wide would be better.
Sheldon

rhamson

Quote from: redgum78 on September 30, 2017, 09:14:11 PM
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I have compressor, guns etc plus I will be utilizing this for other projects and little jobs so I would rather not have to hire or borrow a booth each time. I am on a farm in Australia so no issue's with with fumes and neighbors which makes life easy. I am seriously looking into modifying a garden gazebo or temporary carport, mainly because they are not much more to buy than the material to construct a home made one. Plus it will easily pack up again when not in use.

If it works ok I'll post up some pics. If it fails I'll still post some pics so you can all have a laugh  :drunk:
My 1x3 framed 4 mil booth is collapsible with hinges. It folds up into 4' sections that stack about 24" deep.

fireguyfire

So I wanted to revive this thread as I am just about to build a temporary paint booth inside my shop so that I can paint my 73 challenger, and my 58 Sweptside pickup.
When I painted my 68 charger in the shop, it turned out well but did have a fair bit of dust nibs, etc I had to deal with; I'm hoping the booth will help with that, plus keep the paint off of my restored gas pumps and tools in my shop.
A question I have is regarding blocking the primer. I see online where people are spraying the primer, then blocking the body inside their booth, then spraying the colour in the same booth.
I know space is at a premium for most of us but is blocking primer in your booth a good idea? It would gave to need a thourough cleanup when done and even then the risk of dust has still got to be high, unless I am missing something?
It would certainly be easier to do the blocking in the booth and not gave to open it up and push the primed car somewhere else for sanding.
I also plan on running a slight positive pressure in my booth in case that matters.

JS29

Wet sanding is suppose to not cause dust, until it dry's that is. if you keep the floor wet and hose the floor down continuously, you should be fine. I like to thoroughly wash the car, and the floor and the walls first. Grounding the car helps, you are creating static electricity in the painting process.  :alan2cents:

JS29

@fireguyfire  I just made a reply in paint booth ideas.  :wave:

redgum78

I had forgotten about this post! I would say wet sanding would be ok as long as you left the floor moist, in saying that I am a hack when it comes to painting and have fairly low standards!

Just as an update I ended up using a garden gazebo inside my shed. I had a large blower with filter cloth on the suction sucking from a inside another shed and had it distribute air to each top corner of the booth. I used a smaller duct inside a larger one to achieve this. The whole booth balloons out and slightly pressurizes. It flows out the bottom of the entire booth as the pressure slightly lifts the wall flaps at the floor. The gazebo was big enough to do the car but I did have it on rollers so I could push it from one side to the other to gain a little more room when spraying the sides.

I am a mechanic not a painter but I think a reasonable painter could do a high quality job in this set up.