Main Menu

Hood spring removal - easy peasy

Started by Dakota, June 17, 2018, 04:17:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

I'm sure there are lots of ways to safely remove springs from the hood hinges.   The way I did mine was to use a drift pin and the front edge of the hinge as a fulcrum point.  I held a bunched up towel to the side of the spring to keep it from launching.  The spring was pretty easy to stretch from this position so it was straightforward to guide the front hook off the hinge and then relax the spring. 

No e-bodies.org members were injured in the making of this photo.

BIGSHCLUNK

Chryco Psycho

I would be doing this by myself & the hood would close on my head  :haha:

Dakota

I took the hood off beforehand with my wife's help. I'll just say that my wife needs more practice with wrenches and ratchets before I ask her to help again.  The fact that the hood was held on with bolts with different sized heads did not help.

mopar jack

I use a fan belt and place a towel on windshield just in case. Just hook it and pull, you can brace yourself against the fender. Very easy.  To reinstall I double the belt so that if it gets hooked on the hinge you can still remove the belt.

mopar jack

I used tire irons in the past to pry them off but they are hard on the paint.

anlauto

I'm reading this thread, a couple of times now, wondering why you would ever need to remove these springs :thinking: :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mopar jack

Needed to pull the springs when I installed the shaker hood and for body work and pulled again for paint. I still pull the  hood to lift the motor, I know bottom drop works for most but it's what works for me.

RUNCHARGER

I've always just blasted and painted them with the springs in place as I figure the factory was just as shoddy there. My orange car came with 3 sets of disassembled hinges though so I had to put them together. I wasn't gutsy enough to do it on the car though.
Sheldon

Dakota

Quote from: anlauto on June 18, 2018, 10:00:05 AM
I'm reading this thread, a couple of times now, wondering why you would ever need to remove these springs :thinking: :dunno:

Alan - in my case, I'm replacing the hinges and springs with a new set from Roseville.  Another member was looking for a set of springs so I offered him my old ones. I figured it would be easier to remove the springs while the hinges were still connected to the car.

Timbbuc2

Quote from: Dakota on June 17, 2018, 04:17:08 PM
I'm sure there are lots of ways to safely remove springs from the hood hinges.   The way I did mine was to use a drift pin and the front edge of the hinge as a fulcrum point.  I held a bunched up towel to the side of the spring to keep it from launching.  The spring was pretty easy to stretch from this position so it was straightforward to guide the front hook off the hinge and then relax the spring. 

No e-bodies.org members were injured in the making of this photo.
I bet almost all members here has some of those blue movers blankets, I have several of them. BUT don't get them close to a spark. Don' t ask me how I know. :thinking:
Get in, I'll drive