Main Menu

Painting Questions Top Banana Yellow

Started by tparker, September 05, 2018, 12:22:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

I'm thinking of painting the rest of my car myself. I all ready painted the engine compartment and trunk area. But got some questions.

1. Anyone have thoughts on getting top banana  :banana: paint? Any particular brands or what not. To make matters worse I'm in California. I went to a local store and they mixed up some paint, but to my eyes it was to vibrant. Mine is a bit more subtle, though there is nearly 50years of time to subtle things down. Not sure if it is cause the polyurethane is just richer or something.

2. Thoughts on a white base coat or sealer under the topcoat? I think I need to do this since the Yellow is pretty transparent.

Tom

Shane Kelley

Yellows are always tough because on the coverage. I would use yellow or white sealer and if you sand the sealer don't go through anywhere. Especially any edges. Sorry I can help you on brands out there but from my experience non of the yellows cover very good regardless of brand.    :alan2cents:

dave73

What did you do in the engine bay? Why not do the same so it matches as best as possible?

anlauto

This is where @Cuda Cody comes in....he's has done a beautiful FY1 T/A :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

I also prefer a white sealer under yellow.  As for colors, I custom mixed PPG Concept and did a bunch of spray outs to get it right.  I suggest doing your own spray outs so you'll be 100% sure you like the color.  I'm happy to share with you my mix if you want.

tparker

@dave73chally The engine bay and trunk look ok, but its a bit to bright for me. Doesn't have that creamier look of the top banana. My wife says it's corvette yellow. LOL. I'm not to concerned with the trunk. I would like to do the engine bay over, but I'll think about that later.

@Cuda Cody Thanks I would love the mix. Not sure if my local paint store would mix it the same or not. I'm not looking for perfect, but closer the better. I just got a spray can from a local paint store to test the match. So far it looks closer, but it will probably change with clear over it.

Rich G.

I painted my Cuda top banana with Glasurit paint years ago. That color doesn't cover well so plan on buying extra paint. You might consider tinting the sealer also like the others suggested.

tparker

For what it's worth, I thought I'd share a picture. Problem is the sun is going down. LOL. The roof area between the rear window and rear quarter panel is what I painted. It's darker and brighter. The sheet metal on the garbage can is what I tested today. It looks better but not quite the same. the rear quarter is the original almost 50 year fading paint complete with dirt :) I guess you cant really tell the difference, but there go.

Tom

Cuda Cody

@tparker  here's the yellow I used.  Do your own test spray outs.  I found that 3 coats over white worked good.  2 will give you a brighter looks, but you could run in to a high likelihood some light areas that will not match as well.  3 coats is much safer.  I would not use 4 coats if you can help it because it will turn dull on you fast.  Yellow is very tricky.  Also, however many coats you do just make sure to stick with the exact same.  If you do 3 coats on one area and 4 on another it will look different.

tparker

@Cuda Cody Thanks! I'll see if my paint store can mix up a sample I can test. The batch I just tested had the more creamier look, but is still off. However, I need to find a patch that hasn't sat in the sun for 48 years. LOL. I do dig the Yellow black combo.  Mine has a Black Vinyl top instead of the T/A hood, which both sit nice with the yellow.

tparker

The trunk lid on the bottom before and after sanding brought out the color a lot more, so the newer paints weren't as far off as it first appeared. The left side of the deck lid with almost 50 years of abuse. The right is da sanded. The bottom scrap metal was some sample my local store made up. I'll see if they can mix up a batch with @Cuda Cody mix and see how it turns out. The rear valance was covered by the license plate, so that probably is the best preserved color.

The new paint seems a bit too lemony. My wife said the the part under the license plate was more buttery. LOL. Sound like wine descriptions. LOL.

Cuda Cody

@tparker  you can save your money on my mix.  I made it so it looks like Lemon Twist Yellow was ready for a show.  The original is a bit more muted.  I did a mix that was a perfect match but it looked pretty plain and average so I brightened it up about .05% so it looks like someone polished the original color.  I suggest you do a couple spray outs.  Start with the stock PPG mix and go from there.

tparker

OK. I'm not necessarily looking for an exact match, but fairly close. The vintage is always tricky cause it's hard to get an original color since most all parts have faded and new paints are different. I play a little guitar and lots of people talk about certain capacitors or valves and specific amps to get a sound like the old guys, like Eric Clapton. But I read a recent article that made me rethink that, where he said Claptons gear was all brand new at the time. The speakers, tubes, and capacitors were NOT broken in nor where they aged. So all these people are chasing the tone the wrong way. LOL. I think paint can be a little bit that way as well. Anyways, As long as it's close I'll be happy. Not looking for a trailer queen.