Main Menu

Painting T/A hood

Started by IRON MAN, April 19, 2018, 09:05:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

IRON MAN

The weather is about right here to paint the T/A hood with SEM Hot Rod Black satin. Got the paint and supplies to do it.  I will be doing the work alone. Has anyone used/purchased this Summit Racing hood remover. At $117.00 it seems like a great deal. I have three hoods to remove and paint...Challenger, AMX, and a Silverado. This attachment may be ideal for sanding and painting. Also, the T/A hood I have from Year 1, is it painted with primer? Or actual paint. It scuffs easily which makes me think primer. Should probably remove whatever it is for peace of mind. Thanks for any suggestions. Cheers 

gumby

Don't know about the hoist thing, but it your hood is lined up right, before you take it off, you might drill a couple of small holes in discrete areas.
Then run a self tapping screw in.  Then take it out. You won't have to re-align your hood when you put it back on. Just line up the small holes, and screw in some screws.

I realize that not everyone want's to add extra holes - but it will sure save some time and headache. or maybe use some tape where the hinges are.
Figure out something to make your life easier.

IRON MAN

Thanks for the suggestion Gumby. That's the kinda input I was looking for. In the past I used tape. The self taping screw idea sounds like a more accurate way to do it. I have not trial fit the hood yet. Hopefully some one will chime in on the hood remover that fits on the end of a cherry picker. If not, I will go ahead and get it. Could come in handy hanging the rest of the sheet rock in the garage.