Main Menu

Pics of splash shield...inner fender

Started by nsmall, January 22, 2018, 10:14:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Does anyone have any pictures of the inner Fender Splash Shields installed on their car?  Striking out online for pics.

Thanks in advance.  Attached is what I need to install. 

Jim AAR

If that's the rubber like one it clips in. Here are (2) pics. This is on my AAR, the first pic is the driver's side and 2nd the passenger side.

nsmall

Thanks Jim AAR.  That's what I needed.  Not sure if there's a trick to not scratch the new paint job as I slip the clip through ????but I'm sure I'll be all right.

Jim AAR

Quote from: nsmall on January 22, 2018, 10:34:30 PM
Thanks Jim AAR.  That's what I needed.  Not sure if there's a trick to not scratch the new paint job as I slip the clip through ????but I'm sure I'll be all right.

Put all the clips in the shield first, start with 1 (any of them) and put the clip in at a bit of an angle so the first tine just goes through and then push it to the other side to get the other tine in and just push it in, go to the next one and repeat. Try to end putting them in at a corner as you will have the most flexibility between the clips on either side of it. Good luck, I never scratched mine, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

anlauto

Jim's passenger side one is on incorrectly.
It should be on the engine side of the apron. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

Drivers side gets installed FROM the wheel well.  Passengers side gets installed FROM the engine compartment.

nsmall

Thanks guys. I hate doing something twice as once takes long enough.  So thanks again.... :handshake:

Jim AAR

:P
Quote from: anlauto on January 23, 2018, 04:18:37 AM

Well then someone put it in wrong before I got it, because that's where it was when I took it off when I did my partial restoration back in the early 80's.

Jim AAR

Quote from: Jim AAR on January 23, 2018, 11:13:35 AM
:P
Quote from: anlauto on January 23, 2018, 04:18:37 AM

Well then someone put it in wrong before I got it, because that's where it was when I took it off when I did my partial restoration back in the early 80's.
Personally I think that is wrong, it makes no sense to put it on the inside because there is a lip on the inside of the inner fender that the shield would have to go over. See pic.

If it is on the inside, there would be way more water that could get into the engine compartment because it would not be as tight against it.In my opinion if they were put on the inside on the passenger side, then that was a screw up by the factory or on the design doc, or the person responsible for that did it wrong and/or it was easier for them to put it on the inside, because that makes absolutely no sense. Why would you do one on the inside and one on the outside, when there is a lip on the inside on both sides, IE. the openings are almost exactly the same. Why would you want to have the chance of more water penetrating from the wheel well into the engine compartment. Correct or incorrect, mine is staying where it is.  My :alan2cents:

Shane Kelley

Alan is right.  Passenger side goes to the inside for some crazy reason. Very common mistake putting them on the outside and I'm even guilty myself of doing it in the past.

Katfish

I used black sheet metal screws for mine.  These have to come off every time car is aligned.
No way I trusted shop guys to pull and replace, and I got tired of the push clips.

Not correct for a resto, but much easier.

Jim AAR

Quote from: Shane Kelley on January 23, 2018, 11:50:58 AM
Alan is right.  Passenger side goes to the inside for some crazy reason. Very common mistake putting them on the outside and I'm even guilty myself of doing it in the past.

Wasn't disagreeing with him, just don't think it's right and it's stupid so I don't really care if that's the way it's supposed to be. I will do almost everything the way it's supposed to be from the factory BUT I draw the line at "stupidity", if it's stupid I'm changing it and doing it the right way and NOT the "Makes No Sense" way. Just because they did it that way from the factory in no way means it was the best way. And for tiny things like that, I'll do it the right "Makes Sense" way and if someone looks at my car and says it's wrong, I don't really care. I will never enter it in a judged show because that to me is a waste of my time, I'll take it to shows but would never compete in them, just not my thing. And if someone looks at my car and says that is wrong or it should be this way or that way, I personally would just tell them "Well don't look at it then and go criticize someone that actually gives a damn, cause that's not me"... my  :alan2cents:

303 Mopar

Quote from: Burdar on January 23, 2018, 05:39:25 AM
Drivers side gets installed FROM the wheel well.  Passengers side gets installed FROM the engine compartment.

Was this for all Cuda and Challengers?  '70-74?

anlauto

Quote from: 303 Mopar on January 23, 2018, 12:27:37 PM
Quote from: Burdar on January 23, 2018, 05:39:25 AM

Was this for all Cuda and Challengers?  '70-74?

ALL E Bodies :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

nsmall

Jim AAR.  Your car is awesome and has a cool story.  I would never tear someone's car down.   I appreciate you posting pictures and I appreciate all the advice. 

Does seem silly if there's a lip and it doesn't go as flush as it could vs the inside. 

@Katfish   so in order to align the car properly these have to come off?  I have to get an alignment as my car was in about a million pieces this past year so I guess I'll wait to put these things on.  I too don't trust the alignment people. 

Thanks guys.