Main Menu

Powder coating

Started by Kewl_Wheels, September 04, 2018, 08:48:47 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Kewl_Wheels

Hey guys looking for opinions since I've bought a powder coater and need the practice,I have these  Disk brake spindles  That I put in primer years ago I'm probly never gonna use them I'm thinking of stripping them down and powder coating them black any thoughts on that. I  Figure black is probably a safe color if anybody ever needs/wants them in the future.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Burdar

They were originally an "as cast" gray finish. That's what I would personally use.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Kewl_Wheels

Ok I could probably get a flat gray powder so that would look more original. As I'm looking into this there so many options for colors.
Thanks that's kind of the feedback I was looking for this way if I ever do look to get rid of them they may be a bit more desirable and ready to bolt on.

Chryco Psycho

Make sure the bolt holes are masked off so the coating is not applied to the threads

HP2

Good idea for pin type brackets. Not sure how well powder would work on a slider style.

Kewl_Wheels

I wouldn't coat any functional surface... mounting surfaces, slides, threads etc.
Someone is bringing me 4 center caps
Later today so I can see how this chrome powder looks. I just got the black, white, chrome, and purple to start with.

Timbbuc2

Quote from: Kewl_Wheels on September 04, 2018, 10:56:32 AM
I wouldn't coat any functional surface... mounting surfaces, slides, threads etc.
Someone is bringing me 4 center caps
Later today so I can see how this chrome powder looks. I just got the black, white, chrome, and purple to start with.
Yes I would like to see them. I have used the chrome powder coat and it does good job

Get in, I'll drive

Burdar

The only thing that mounts to the outer face of the spindles are the dust shields.  I wouldn't have an issue with putting powder on that area.

Dynamo

As for the spindles, blast & powder coat with a flat or simi gloss clear. It can be the best of both worlds as it looks original & don't rust. I have used that method on other parts & had good results. You will have to clear coat the chrome also. Just used the chrome to refurbish a rusted tuff wheel & it came out great.