Main Menu

Rust Prevention Magic

Started by Gary AAR, March 13, 2019, 07:27:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

Anybody have any history with using the product "Rust Prevention Magic"?  Does it work as advertised?   I'm looking for something to protect original bare steel parts. 

See picture and advertisement below.

A revolutionary new product for preserving your restoration's bare metal components! A patented blend of the finest polymers for exceptional moisture resistance.
Applied by warming the part to approximately 120 degrees and brushing RPM on with the supplied brush. RPM will liquify on contact and cool down to an invisible film. Excess may be buffed with a cloth.

Sold in an 8oz. tub and includes an application brush.

Frequently Asked Questions:

What types of metal will RPM protect?- All types of metallic surfaces prone to oxidation can benefit from RPM protection. Cast Iron, stamped and cast metals as well as aluminum are some of the common automotive applications. RPM works great to preserve natural metal drivetrain, suspension and other bare metal components to a like new condition. Use on chrome plating is not recommended.

How much RPM will I need for my project?- The 8oz. container should be enough to treat your entire vehicle/project when applied according to the directions. Warming the part allows the material to flow out when being applied to avoid unnecessary material waste.

Will RPM attract dirt?- Unlike oily products, RPM is dry to the touch. The metal is protected from humidity and moisture. Do I need to reapply RPM?- If the area is subject to abrasion, spray or impact, additional applications may be required.

Can RPM be painted over?- No. Removal with a solvent such lacquer thinner or acetone is required in areas you wish to paint. The part can then be re-coated as needed.

Can RPM be used on items exposed to heat such as exhaust pipes or intake manifolds?- Yes. If the RPM coating is exposed to gas, it will rinse off and need to be reapplied. On exhaust pipes, the coating will bake in and not run off.

dodj

I bought some of that stuff, and then learned that if you drive the car, you will need to re-apply from time to time. So I haven't used it and went with paint.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

7212Mopar

I used it for fasteners top side and underside that are not painted. Been two years and no rust. But I did not drive it much though.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Daveh

I use it for odd ball stuff. I put it on heat it up then apply again.  Haven't had any rust issues.  But I do think the directions do say to reapply down the road. 

Rich G.

I used it on the muffler shields and front disc backing plates. It's been a year and I do drive the car occasionally. So far so good.

Shoooter

I was just looking at this stuff on the internet. Was going to use it on my transmission, anyone else use it for that?