Main Menu

PPG vs SPI

Started by Gary, January 18, 2018, 04:08:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary

A couple years ago while researching something, I came across an epoxy primer from SPI that some people liked better than PPG's .  I didn't think much about it cause we were happy using PPG  Then I saw an ad in a trade magazine this fall.  SPI epoxy primer $90 a sprayable gallon.  I went to their website and if you didn't know better it sounds just like DP.  We wouldn't mind trying some, but to be honest, the price scares me, it sounds to cheap.  Anyone out there have any experience with it, good or bad.

Cuda Cody

It really comes down to what you are trying to accomplish.  If this is a car you plan to keep and you want to have the best paint job possible, then I would not try to cut any corners.  For me, I try to use the very best money can buy when it comes to primers and especially epoxy primers.  That epoxy really is the base and strength of your paint job.  Also, many people will tell you to stick with one brand from start to finish.

If you want to save money on epoxy primer and still stay in the PPG brand line, they make an industrial epoxy that is super strong... almost too strong.  It's called CRE.  It's really designed for the commercial industrial usage side.  I was told it is used in places where salt water will come in contact with metal.  The couple times I've used it I think it's too strong.  It's hard to sand and doesn't have enough flexibility IMO for automobile paint, but I bet it's better then almost any other cheap brand.  But when I paint my own cars I like DP and VP for my epoxy primers.  Here's some more tips in case you need them...

https://www.e-bodies.org/how-to-paint-a-show-car-step-by-step-guide/

Gary

I hear you and agree, believe me you're preaching to the choir.  What I have heard about SPI is that it's cheap price not cheap quality, if that's possible.  That's why we're looking for anyone who has used it.  By the way we have used CRE but only on hidden areas for corrosion protection.  Never as a base for a topcoat.

moparcar

I'd love to see more real world comments on this SPI vs. PPG topic also since I have to decide on paint. Not much negative press on SPI and very positive for the most part. Any SPI users? PPG is very very good but expensive so I'm interested in this since it is a larger value.

Wes

Lloyd Lind

With paint companies it's all about paying for the color formulation, they will give you setups and signage and spray booths to force you to use the entire line. I use auto color nexa solvent and color because it is in my opinion the best color system anyone offers, PPG thought so and bought them to have a premium base coat system and water base system. If you are not getting the spray booth and all the goodies you don't benefit from the high cost of using the entire line. I have a nexa solvent and a nexa water base mixing system and I use SPI clear coats on all my high-end jobs and overalls because I don't want to spend a week buffing the clear if it gets too hard to fast, exaggerating I know but It's the same with epoxy, if you buy Omni from ppg to save money the performance is way down and the solids and the cost of the DP is way to high for just epoxy. When I use SPI epoxy I have to reduce it down beyond what it takes for DP epoxy to spray as a sealer and even as a prime it's just way to thick to use unreduced, I don't like how thick it is but I love the price and I have been using SPI products including the epoxy for years so I have adapted.

When you get about four price increases a year that add up to about twenty-five percent a year and it goes on like this for about fifteen years you get to the point of resenting the company, loyalty is definitely not a two way street in this case and I save where I can, carefully! SPI has a great product line and I use it without any fear, I offer lifetime work and have zero comebacks from SPI , can't say that about PPG clears, I had a rash of a hundred plus of peelers one time and they decided  it wasn't their fault and left us to hang because we used other primers and products under their system and did other things that they " suspected" caused the problem.  Funny thing is it tracked back to a batch of their clear, stopped using it and the problem stopped so did my faith in using their premium products along with other proven components. The funny thing is I don't trust any company totally but I save money to the point I can afford some limited failure based on the massive savings. Personally I think it's all propaganda and no paint is that good anymore with National Rule forcing out proven solvents and lead.

RUNCHARGER

Great review Lloyd Lind.
Sheldon

'' forcing out proven solvents and lead.''
That is like what they did to flooring adhesives , been trying to scrape 58 year old adhesive off my house concrete floor by hand and it just laughs at ya, then the smallest piece will peel off. Ugh.
I can't talk about paint , I am still at the spray bomb knowledge phase, but I am trying to learn and would like to try to paint.

Jim AAR

Quote from: 73440 on January 18, 2018, 06:52:11 PM
'' forcing out proven solvents and lead.''
That is like what they did to flooring adhesives , been trying to scrape 58 year old adhesive off my house concrete floor by hand and it just laughs at ya, then the smallest piece will peel off. Ugh.
I can't talk about paint , I am still at the spray bomb knowledge phase, but I am trying to learn and would like to try to paint.

:iagree: Been there, done that, was it the Black Adhesive? I had that and tried everything, scraping, Acetone, you name it and finally said to hell with it gave up and just used the DriCore Sub floor system over it. Ended up with a nice warm floor with laminate over it.

pink aar

I have never used it myself, but I have a friend that uses it. He loves it. It used it on a Pantera and a few custom cars. I've seen these cars at several shows. He talks nothing but good about it.
The guy that started the SPI was a chemist at a paint company. Think it was DuPont, not for sure on what company.

quapman

There is a SPI facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/144021590307/

One of the cars I worked on recently for my French clients had SPI clear on it and I plan to use SPI on my next overall. Will stick with PPG for the base to (hopefully) get a good color match, but their materials are just insanely priced. I'm not paying double for a company's artificial reputation.

Lloyd, where do you get your SPI materials from? There's nobody in central NC that sells it.

pink aar

Quapman, If I'm not mistaking. You have to buy directly from SPI. They are located in north Georgia. North of Atlanta.

Gary

You have to buy direct from SPI

76orangewagon

I used SPI epoxy primer on my last project and was more than pleased with the results, I had to order directly from Southern polyurethane (SPI) but they were great to deal with and shipping was fast.

Lloyd Lind

from Atlanta, direct with free shippinng, sent fast.

quapman

Can't beat that with a paint stick. Thanks!