Main Menu

Putting part numbers into new replacement parts

Started by 71chally, January 06, 2024, 10:58:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

71chally

I've learned various sheet metal parts I intend to replace have part numbers stamped in them. I'm leaning towards putting the numbers int the repro parts. Wondered if anyone else went to that trouble?

Cuda Cody

There's a lot of parts that have numbers in them.  From lot number to part numbers to actual portions of the VIN.  A lot of people go to great lengths to match factory markings and stampings.  What parts do you have in mind? 

MoparLeo

Ok as long as you don't use the Factory pentastar trademark as well. I think you woiuld need to get permission from Stallantis to do this.
Buyers need to know the difference between a reproduction part and a genuine part because of potential quality, liability and obviously the value/cost of the parts.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

HP2

To the best of my knowledge, the only parts you could stamp part numbers into would be the engine block and transmission. Unless you scored blank replacements block/case, restamping these would be stamping next to or over the top of existing numbers, which will create a mess.  Most other parts have these numbers cast into them at time of manufacture or are painted on, also at time of manufacture.  There is no way you can recreate a cast number. Painting is possible, but duplicating the OEM font will be very difficult.

MoparLeo

71chally, what types of parts are you asking about ? Trim parts ( plastic or pot metal castings )?

71chally

The upper cowl panel has a stamping on the drivers side flange to firewall. This is besides the part number stamped towards the front side, and the obvious vin stamp.

The rear filler panel has a stamping number in one of the flanges.

MoparLeo

It would be nice to get the full reason/info for your question up front.
 Didn't know what you were actually thinking.Never would have thought you were talking about metal panels.

71chally

Yeah I didn't think about it to that extent. Typed the words quicker than my brain was working :)

MoparLeo