Main Menu

Quarter panel lead joint question

Started by 7E-Bodies, July 23, 2019, 02:40:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Due to a personal dislike for bead rolled quarter patches (that were done very nicely) I've opted to replace both quarters on my 70 Challenger. Having worked in the body shop business when throwing lead in a sail panel was no big deal, I'm a tad bewildered at learning mother Mopar didn't lead the sail panels on vinyl top cars. Mine is one of them and that holds true. No lead, just filler. I'm going back totally original and the vinyl top will be replaced. My question is, do I lead anyway or do it like the factory did?  50 years and no cracks in the original. Also, did they still lead where the quarter meets the rocker on VT cars?  That had already been tampered with on mine.

Kevin
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Rich G.

I've always used the fiberglass reinforced body filler there and never had a problem. I think the key it to prep it properly.

Cuda Cody

The vinyl top will allow you to do either option and it will look and hold up fine.  Painted tops I always lead them in.   :alan2cents:

Rdchallenger

Weird... my 73 VT Challenger was leaded and will be again.

70 Challenger Lover

I have two vinyl top cars, both 1970. One has lead and the other plastic. I just used lead on mine and it came out great. Hardest part is getting the hang of applying lead on a vertical surface but I got it done with lots of patience.

70 Challenger Lover

I'd use lead if you have the stuff and have done it before.

7E-Bodies

1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on July 23, 2019, 02:40:56 PM
Due to a personal dislike for bead rolled quarter patches (that were done very nicely) I've opted to replace both quarters on my 70 Challenger. Having worked in the body shop business when throwing lead in a sail panel was no big deal, I'm a tad bewildered at learning mother Mopar didn't lead the sail panels on vinyl top cars. Mine is one of them and that holds true. No lead, just filler. I'm going back totally original and the vinyl top will be replaced. My question is, do I lead anyway or do it like the factory did?  50 years and no cracks in the original. Also, did they still lead where the quarter meets the rocker on VT cars?  That had already been tampered with on mine.

Kevin

FWIW That filler doesn't look anything like the filler I've seen in other 70 E bodies... It looks more like stuff that showed up in the 80's & newer products...

The original 70 vintage stuff is brown-orange & it usually has cracks that are hidden under the vinyl top..

Cuda Cody

750-h2

All of the high end resto shops that I have spoken to advised me to keep away from lead? They claim modern body filler is much superior to lead. They claim that lead can lead to problems down the road?

70 Challenger Lover

I think they stay away from it because it's a lot more difficult and time consuming compared to plastic fillers. All the factories used lead and they lasted for half a century with no problems. I've had lots of cars with lead in them and I don't recall one of those joints having problems.

RUNCHARGER

If you want problems, plastic filler on seams is a good way to make them.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 750-h2 on July 28, 2019, 06:08:31 AM
All of the high end resto shops that I have spoken to advised me to keep away from lead? They claim modern body filler is much superior to lead. They claim that lead can lead to problems down the road?

There are plenty of places where plastic works great... But there are definitely places where it fails....Like the tops of E body convertible quarter panels where they join the dutchman panel...

Lead can have issues mostly due to poor prep or application but if done properly it will take flexing & stresses that plastic can't possibly survive...

anlauto

Quote from: 750-h2 on July 28, 2019, 06:08:31 AM

:iagree: I've head the same info here too................either way....if one or the other aren't applied properly....you'll have problems  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

Lead definitely takes more work. The prep has to be perfect. I can't imagine a shop, where time is money, telling it's customers that lead is better but we don't use it because my guys just don't have the patience and experience.